Transmission Shop

slow motion

Anyone have a recommendation for a transmission shop within decent distance of Cumming Ga. Work truck just went over 350k this week and on the way home Friday I lost 3rd and overdrive. I was driving smaller surface streets so 2nd gear got me home. May just have a shop I know order a rebuilt and install it. Hadn't priced anything yet but expecting 6-8k. 07 f150 4x4 Truck with that mileage isn't really worth that but can't replace for that either.

transfixer

Anyone have a recommendation for a transmission shop within decent distance of Cumming Ga. Work truck just went over 350k this week and on the way home Friday I lost 3rd and overdrive. I was driving smaller surface streets so 2nd gear got me home. May just have a shop I know order a rebuilt and install it. Hadn't priced anything yet but expecting 6-8k. 07 f150 4x4 Truck with that mileage isn't really worth that but can't replace for that either.

07 should have a 4spd automatic ? there were some 6spds that year , but I believe were special packages ? overhauling a 4spd auto won't cost you anywhere near 6-8k, even the 6spds shouldn't run but between 4-5k ,

With you having that many miles on it, there will be some parts that will need to be replaced as opposed to rebuilding, once they wear past a certain point not much you can do but replace some things, I know someone in Cleveland if that isn't too far ? or a shop in Woodstock

hopper

Had the same problem last year. Ended up getting a reman for my f250. I had Ben at AJ Auto put it in. Aj has sold to Ryan automotive so can't speak for them on replacement but they do our maintenance and seem like good honest folks. Exit 17 Kroger parking lot. There is also Randy's Auto at exit 14 who is well known to do good work but more of a wait.
Good luck buddy.

slow motion

07 should have a 4spd automatic ? there were some 6spds that year , but I believe were special packages ? overhauling a 4spd auto won't cost you anywhere near 6-8k, even the 6spds shouldn't run but between 4-5k ,

With you having that many miles on it, there will be some parts that will need to be replaced as opposed to rebuilding, once they wear past a certain point not much you can do but replace some things, I know someone in Cleveland if that isn't too far ? or a shop in Woodstock
Yes Sir it's the 4 speed. Had OD go out several years back. Local guys did a rebuild but they have since all retired. Think I got about 90 k out of it. Certainly can't complain as I'm always hauling stuff and frequently getting talked into some of the mountain jobs. They only charged 1700 but everything has gone way up. Cleveland is a little further than Woodstock. Both are doable though. Which do you have the most confidence in?

slow motion

Had the same problem last year. Ended up getting a reman for my f250. I had Ben at AJ Auto put it in. Aj has sold to Ryan automotive so can't speak for them on replacement but they do our maintenance and seem like good honest folks. Exit 17 Kroger parking lot. There is also Randy's Auto at exit 14 who is well known to do good work but more of a wait.
Good luck buddy.
Thanks. I'll check them out.

slow motion

I've got another truck, a Dodge, to drive. Hate to pile my stuff in it as it's normally for when I'm not working but I've done it before. May boil down to turn around time. Had an engine put in the Dodge and it went from 2 weeks estimate to over 8 in reality. Stuff happens though. They did a good job and that's more important anyway.

transfixer

Yes Sir it's the 4 speed. Had OD go out several years back. Local guys did a rebuild but they have since all retired. Think I got about 90 k out of it. Certainly can't complain as I'm always hauling stuff and frequently getting talked into some of the mountain jobs. They only charged 1700 but everything has gone way up. Cleveland is a little further than Woodstock. Both are doable though. Which do you have the most confidence in?

I'll pm you some info, as far as remans go, be cautious of those, they have good warranties usually, but they're assembled by unskilled workers on an assembly line, if you go the reman route, do NOT get a Jasper reman, best reman company out there is ETE remanufacturing, others such as Certified or Moveras still better than Jasper, I've torn down units from all those companies, (after they failed) Jasper doesn't do the job they profess to do ,

slow motion

Thanks everybody. Gonna drop it off at a shop tonight.

transfixer

not sure if it's close enough, Fairburn Transmission in Douglasville....

That is a ways from him, I know the owner there personally, he's a good guy, I did some piece work for him a few years ago when his builder had to be out for surgery, they've been there a long time,