Tree ID

Longhorn 16

7378B6FF-64C3-4BFB-975F-9238099D00F5.jpeg2AB6A241-FC53-43E3-8694-9A0F82A8E749.jpeg2AB6A241-FC53-43E3-8694-9A0F82A8E749.jpegTrying to ID this tree for my wife. She likes the way they look. I want to know what it is and is it a good tree or invasive Pain like Bradford

Deer Fanatic

Cool ? Useless Billy Deer Guide
leaf pics are pretty fuzzy but that could be a beech tree

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
It's some cultivar of Chinese elm, probably 'Dynasty.' And in my experience, yes, they can be bad to seed around where they don't belong.

Miguel Cervantes

Jedi Master
Yep, that's a chinese elm aka lacebark elm of some variety.

A picture of the overall tree not so close up may help to better Identify the variety.
The most commonly used cultivars are the Allee, Athena, Bosque and Dynasty.
One less notable that I tend to use more than the others is the Drake Elm.

The growth habit and shape of the canopy will give us a better clue as to which one you may have there.

Judging from your photos it is being used in a beauty strip in a subdivision. Though it is a wider beauty strip than most, the lacebark elm is not a favorable variety to use in that application as it's roots will eventually heave the sidewalk and cause damage and a tripping hazard in the long run.

Though UGA's BMP plan for street trees list the chinese elm as an acceptable species to use in street tree planting I have to believe they were looking at it's application through a commercial construction parameter, where 12" turn downs on sidewalks poured over #57 aggregate with wire embedded in the pour were deemed necessary and not the typical 3-4" slab on red clay as developers typically put in subdivisions where just about any tree will heave a sidewalk.

Last edited:

Longhorn 16

A picture of the overall tree not so close up may help to better Identify the variety.

The growth habit and shape of the canopy will give us a better clue as to which one you may have there.

Judging from your photos it is being used in a beauty strip in a subdivision. Though it is a wider beauty strip than most, the lacebark elm is not a favorable variety to use in that application as it's roots will eventually heave the sidewalk and cause damage and a tripping hazard in the long run.

Though UGA's BMP plan for street trees list the chinese elm as an acceptable species to use in street tree planting I have to believe they were looking at it's application through a commercial construction parameter, where 12" turn downs on sidewalks poured over #57 aggregate with wire embedded in the pour were deemed necessary and not the typical 3-4" slab on red clay as developers typically put in subdivisions where just about any tree will heave a sidewalk.

The tree is at the entrance to Emory at Johns Creek. My wife wants to plant some at the farm as a decorative shade trees.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member

I've seen brick patios completely destroyed by Chinese elms planted in little cutout tree wells in the middle of them.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
If she likes that look, consider river birch.

Native tree.

Good shade.

Striking winter appearance.
Or parsley-leaved hawthorn.