Tree Markings

HuntinJake_23

While out on lake Oconee today I kept seeing trees on the bank, about 10 yards off the water, with two yellow stripes and sometimes a yellow stake in the ground. I’ve always recognized yellow as WMA/National Forest, but was curious if this was Georgia Power or just marking the right away of the lake. I did not see any WMA/National Forest signage. There were no houses/docks anywhere near and it was just woods.

Attachments

• 9C2A58A5-8E7C-40B2-9964-2E1DFCC77C02.jpeg
    9C2A58A5-8E7C-40B2-9964-2E1DFCC77C02.jpeg
    195.2 KB · Views: 155

rigderunner

Yellow can also mean gas line. I'm not sure if there's any kind of natural gas in that area

Dutch

AMERICAN WARRIOR
Where on Oconee? Looking at your pic, that yellow pole usually designates a gas line.

HuntinJake_23

Where on Oconee? Looking at your pic, that yellow pole usually designates a gas line.

Up near Hwy 44 south of Greensboro, it was 10-15 yards off the water and on a tree about every 20-30yards (in a line) in heavily wooded area where there were no houses. Also different elevations of land.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
On Lake Sinclair GPC has trees marked where 10 ft above full pool is. They retain ownership of the land from waters edge to that point.

Timberman

On Lake Sinclair GPC has trees marked where 10 ft above full pool is. They retain ownership of the land from waters edge to that point.

This. I painted many a tree for Georgia Power as a forestry intern back in the day.

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
That’s how Indians marked their trail. People think it was by bending trees over but it was really paint and fiberglass poles. They invented the both

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
That’s how Indians marked their trail. People think it was by bending trees over but it was really paint and fiberglass poles. They invented the both

Historical accuracy being so important an all. The things ya learn on GON.