Any slug hunters/ shooters ?

WOODIE13

2023 TURKEY CHALLENGE 1st place Team
I've got two 500s with rifled barrels, 12 and a youth 20, both shoot great out to 100 yards.

Initially I got the 12 gauge barrel out of the classifieds on here, put a scope on it and caught a bunch of Winchester reduced recoil slugs on sale, they stacked within 1.5" at 100 yards. Ran low, caught some more on sale, didn't pay attention and these kicked like a mule. My son was with me, said that gun hurting you Pappy, I told him to get behind it, he shot one time and didn't want any more.

I picked up the SSTs for the 20, shoots good, but should've got the reduced recoil loads, that light gun kicks pretty good.

Last edited:

frankwright

Years ago my brother bought a farm house,barn and 350 acres in Ohio just across the Kentucky line.
He invited me and a friend to come for deer season and it is slug only.
I had a Remington 870 and I found a Remington Cantilever barrel with a rifled choke tube.
I tried several different slugs and I believe some from Remington shot best.
First full day in the stand I killed a nice 10 point with it.
Between years I sold the barrel and bought a 20ga Youth Ultra Slug gun. I liked it a lot and killed a nice 8 point in Georgia, hunting with the slug gun and SST Shells.
I went to Ohio the next year and killed two does.
Eventually the Ohio trips ended and years later my Brother sold the place and I sold my slug gun.
I kind of wish I had kept it, it would be a hog slayer!

GregoryB.

I shot the Hornady SST in my 870 with rifled barrel when hunted on Military Bases. 2 3/4 inch shells shot fine at 100 yards without the extra recoil. I also had a 11-87 with slug barrel and a rifled choke tube, used Federal sabot slugs in it.

WishboneW

Good question ! I have a good shooting muzzle loader and have been thinking of a slug gun For a few years . The public land I hunt I can use either just no rifle.
I guess the reason would be I’m just tired of cleaning , loading, unloading and one shot . The slug gun just seems more appealing to me . I guess I’ll find out. Never can have to many guns anyway
I’m the same about my muzzle loader.

That 870 is a great gun. Timney triggers makes an excellent sear and spring kit that is adjustable and will get trigger pull down to 2 lbs. I have one in mine, a 11 87 and 742 woodsmaster.

If you have a bird barrel perhaps you will join us shooting at doves come September.

chase870

Possum Sox
I shoot a 870 slug gun with a rifled barrel, it shoots bernakie rifled slugs just fine and I am still shooting old Remington copper solids. Kills deer dead and removes the need to track them, all die within sight and most never take a step. Just buy some different slugs the gun will tell you what it likes the best.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
I’m the same about my muzzle loader.

That 870 is a great gun. Timney triggers makes an excellent sear and spring kit that is adjustable and will get trigger pull down to 2 lbs. I have one in mine, a 11 87 and 742 woodsmaster.

If you have a bird barrel perhaps you will join us shooting at doves come September.
If at all possible I’ll remember this , thanks

Liberty

My 1 and only slug experience is just the opposite. I double lunged a big doe, and it made it 60 yards. That still isn’t “underperformance”, just not bang flop.

biggdogg

I've got a Marlin 512 and I've been extremely impressed with the Hornady 325 American Whitetail Sabots

furtaker

Yes. Good old Foster type slugs. They should shoot well in that 870, don't let anybody tell you that you can't shoot rifles slugs in a rifled barrel.

It just ain't so.

Expect good accuracy at 50, and "might be" accuracy at 100.

An ounce of lead at +/- 70 caliber will flatten deer and pigs with authority.

I had a 20 gauge 870 slug gun with a 18" rifled barrel, and a fixed 2.5 Leupold. It was a keeper that I wish I hadn't traded...
What is the theory behind not being able to shoot lead rifled slugs out of a rifled barrel? Most of them say that they are for smooth bore barrels on the box. Seems like those slugs would be awesome for woods hunting if you could get decent accuracy out of them.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
What is the theory behind not being able to shoot lead rifled slugs out of a rifled barrel? Most of them say that they are for smooth bore barrels on the box. Seems like those slugs would be awesome for woods hunting if you could get decent accuracy out of them.
I was curious/ confused about this also

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
I can't say what the theory behind it all is. I can just say that I have had good accuracy results shooting Fosters out of a couple of barrels that were rifled.

One was that old Marlin bolt action slug gun in 12, and an 870 20 gauge with a rifled barrel.

My dad had an Auto 5 with a iron sighted slug barrel, and he could bust a milk jug at 100 with scary consistency.

I think people were shooting Fosters out of rifled barrels for many years, before anybody ever started saying it wouldn't work, probably to sell new fangled sabot slugs...

Just my nickels worth... :)

WOODIE13

2023 TURKEY CHALLENGE 1st place Team
I would say it would lead the barrel, but that's a guess. Never tried one out of my rifled barrels personally.

With my smooth bore slug barrel, I can get around softball size groups at 50 yds with rifle sights.