Any slug hunters/ shooters ?

WOODIE13

2023 TURKEY CHALLENGE 1st place Team
I've got two 500s with rifled barrels, 12 and a youth 20, both shoot great out to 100 yards.

Initially I got the 12 gauge barrel out of the classifieds on here, put a scope on it and caught a bunch of Winchester reduced recoil slugs on sale, they stacked within 1.5" at 100 yards. Ran low, caught some more on sale, didn't pay attention and these kicked like a mule. My son was with me, said that gun hurting you Pappy, I told him to get behind it, he shot one time and didn't want any more.

I picked up the SSTs for the 20, shoots good, but should've got the reduced recoil loads, that light gun kicks pretty good.

Last edited:

frankwright

Years ago my brother bought a farm house,barn and 350 acres in Ohio just across the Kentucky line.
He invited me and a friend to come for deer season and it is slug only.
I had a Remington 870 and I found a Remington Cantilever barrel with a rifled choke tube.
I tried several different slugs and I believe some from Remington shot best.
First full day in the stand I killed a nice 10 point with it.
Between years I sold the barrel and bought a 20ga Youth Ultra Slug gun. I liked it a lot and killed a nice 8 point in Georgia, hunting with the slug gun and SST Shells.
I went to Ohio the next year and killed two does.
Eventually the Ohio trips ended and years later my Brother sold the place and I sold my slug gun.
I kind of wish I had kept it, it would be a hog slayer!

GregoryB.

I shot the Hornady SST in my 870 with rifled barrel when hunted on Military Bases. 2 3/4 inch shells shot fine at 100 yards without the extra recoil. I also had a 11-87 with slug barrel and a rifled choke tube, used Federal sabot slugs in it.

WishboneW

Good question ! I have a good shooting muzzle loader and have been thinking of a slug gun For a few years . The public land I hunt I can use either just no rifle.
I guess the reason would be I’m just tired of cleaning , loading, unloading and one shot . The slug gun just seems more appealing to me . I guess I’ll find out. Never can have to many guns anyway
I’m the same about my muzzle loader.

That 870 is a great gun. Timney triggers makes an excellent sear and spring kit that is adjustable and will get trigger pull down to 2 lbs. I have one in mine, a 11 87 and 742 woodsmaster.

If you have a bird barrel perhaps you will join us shooting at doves come September.

chase870

Possum Sox
I shoot a 870 slug gun with a rifled barrel, it shoots bernakie rifled slugs just fine and I am still shooting old Remington copper solids. Kills deer dead and removes the need to track them, all die within sight and most never take a step. Just buy some different slugs the gun will tell you what it likes the best.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
I’m the same about my muzzle loader.

That 870 is a great gun. Timney triggers makes an excellent sear and spring kit that is adjustable and will get trigger pull down to 2 lbs. I have one in mine, a 11 87 and 742 woodsmaster.

If you have a bird barrel perhaps you will join us shooting at doves come September.
If at all possible I’ll remember this , thanks

Liberty

My 1 and only slug experience is just the opposite. I double lunged a big doe, and it made it 60 yards. That still isn’t “underperformance”, just not bang flop.

biggdogg

I've got a Marlin 512 and I've been extremely impressed with the Hornady 325 American Whitetail Sabots