Trooper puts PIT maneuver on girl taking mom to ER

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
She'll get paid only if they want to pay her.

Browning Slayer

Official Voice Of The Dawgs !
The felony charge is probably there to help encourage the family decide not to file a get rich quuick lawsuit.
So you are saying they are trying to "intimidate her"? Why would anyone have trust issues with cops?

specialk

it's never a good idea to choose to not stop for a cop.....never.....ever.....

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
No sir, that would be your opinion, not mine. She broke the law and got herself stopped. She chose to place her personal interests above the interests of society as a whole and she chose to endanger herself, her mother and her children is so doing.

I have no doubt that I would have been speeding if I were in her place but I would have stopped for John Law as others posting above did. I would have expected the charge and would have been willing to deal with it. Please note that those who reported above indicated that they were given help. This perp in this case decided that the law did not apply to her. Well she was wrong. The offense is chargeable and she was charged.

Note the lack of common sense displayed by the sorts of verdicts the courts have been handing out for the past several decades and you might understand why the playing field might need to be leveled some.

Hillbilly stalker

Title should read “Trooper uses P.I.T maneuver to end pursuit for a vehicle that refused to stop”. Later it was discovered it was actually a medical emergency. News papers sale blood stories. The courts have long decided that an officer is required to act reasonable with the information available at the given time.
I have followed several speeders that threw on their flashers and pulled into the E.R parking lot, watched a few sign in at the desk, and wrote a few that that were trying to be slick. I never wrote one that actually had an emergency tho. It happens a lot more than the public could imagine. I hope the lady is alright. A simple phone call to 911 or perhaps waiving the L.E.O forward and slowing down would have prevented this. They were obviously hysterical and panicking being concerned with their mother. If they didn’t charge her it would look like they had done something wrong or illegal, I didn’t see that. Maybe they did tho. The insurance carrier decides if they are going to write a check for a settlement.

transfixer

Cops over reacted, but the mom/or daughter should have called 911 and informed them what was going on , they could have relayed the info to the cops , some blame on both parts, I question the troopers actions for pulling weapons on an 18 yr old female though ?

Toliver

Cops over reacted, but the mom/or daughter should have called 911 and informed them what was going on , they could have relayed the info to the cops , some blame on both parts, I question the troopers actions for pulling weapons on an 18 yr old female though ?
Google how many 18 year old females have killed people. The cops don't interview them and get their story before deciding to take appropriate action. A P.I.T. maneuver is very low on the scale of actions. It's done daily in training tracks all over the world. And pointing a pistol at normal rational people de-escelates the situation in the vast majority of cases.

transfixer

Google how many 18 year old females have killed people. The cops don't interview them and get their story before deciding to take appropriate action. A P.I.T. maneuver is very low on the scale of actions. It's done daily in training tracks all over the world. And pointing a pistol at normal rational people de-escelates the situation in the vast majority of cases.

I know that is possible , and we have no idea how the girl was dressed or what her appearance was, and while I am a big supporter of LEO's , I've seen some who were way over zealous when it comes to pointing firearms

Toliver

I know that is possible , and we have no idea how the girl was dressed or what her appearance was, and while I am a big supporter of LEO's , I've seen some who were way over zealous when it comes to pointing firearms
Your last sentence is fact. I have observed that most of those are due to poor training or lack of real experience with bad guys. I know there are bad cops out there but most are not and a lot of what gets seen by the public is edited clips that you have no context on. Use of force is ugly even when 100% justified and supported.

Browning Slayer

Official Voice Of The Dawgs !
Drove all over and waited for that right moment. What was she doing? 35mph? With her flashers on. Yeah, a good lawyer should have fun with this one. 3 Black chicks in a medical emergency...

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Emergency!!
38EF2864-E971-45E0-9CEB-8D9686965ACE.png

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
It looked to me like she was gonna be stopping in another forty yards.
facepalm:

Lilly001

Cops have been shot by younger “children”.

Toliver

It looked to me like she was gonna be stopping in another forty yards.
facepalm:
That's the problem with watching the video after the fact. You're not pumped up on adrenaline chasing a person for reasons that aren't always crystal clear and suffering from tunnel vision and auditory exclusion. It's way different when you're in it. As the standard goes that was set by SCOTUS, the situation has to be judged on what the officer knew at that moment.

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
He should have known he had already turned in the hospital entrance when he hit her.
Just my laymans opinion.

Toliver

He should have known he had already turned in the hospital entrance when he hit her.
Just my laymans opinion.
And there's the rub. In intense situations you miss what otherwise might seem obvious to the casual observer watching video. And there's absolute proof of that. In fact, there are videos that are shown in classes that have a very obvious feature but almost everyone misses it because they're told to look for something else. And that's just a classroom setting with no stress.

I fully realize there are some who are going to criticize no matter what but for those willing to learn what someone under intense stress is going through and how they make mistakes that appear to be obvious and elementary functions, these are teaching moments that may help them understand better.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
That's the problem with watching the video after the fact. You're not pumped up on adrenaline chasing a person for reasons that aren't always crystal clear and suffering from tunnel vision and auditory exclusion. It's way different when you're in it. As the standard goes that was set by SCOTUS, the situation has to be judged on what the officer knew at that moment.
If you can't handle adrenaline to the point that it clouds your common sense and judgement, you shouldn't be in that line of work. Gung-ho cops way over-reacted. Girl should have called 911. But, someone headed in the direction of a hospital with their emergency flashers on should be a clue to anybody with a lick of sense. In any case, pressing charges on the girl, especially felony charges, is idiotic and totally uncalled for.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
And there's the rub. In intense situations you miss what otherwise might seem obvious to the casual observer watching video. And there's absolute proof of that. In fact, there are videos that are shown in classes that have a very obvious feature but almost everyone misses it because they're told to look for something else. And that's just a classroom setting with no stress.

I fully realize there are some who are going to criticize no matter what but for those willing to learn what someone under intense stress is going through and how they make mistakes that appear to be obvious and elementary functions, these are teaching moments that may help them understand better.
Again, if you fall apart and lose your mind under stress, you aren't cop material. You also fail to apply the same logic to the girl, who was not only facing stress of being chased by cops, but thought her mom might be dying, and she has no training for stuff like that. But you still blame her, and won't excuse her "mistakes," even though she was under a lot more stress than the cop. You can't see her side, though, because she ain't a cop.

Last edited:

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
The perp thought only of what was best for herself.

The cops had to consider what was best for her, what was best for society, and lastly what was best for them.

She voluntarily broke several laws. She should have the courage to fact the consequences of her choices but I'm guessing, not so much.