Trumpet call

The Fever

I have half behind turkey hunted for a couple years now but this will be my first hard core year I hope. I have become average with a slate call but recently have heard a lot about trumpet calls. What niche do they fill, how much are they, and are they something that a beginner should concern themselves with? Thanks in advance.

gobblingghost

The trumpet is a great call. But there are few people that know how to use one and even fewer that feel comfortable enough to hunt with it. As far as, learning how to use in my personal experience if you started right now you might have enough confidence is your sounds to use it next year. Before I bought a trumpet I would learn the technique on a coffee straw. I would learn a box call, mouth call or a tube call first.

gblrklr

Most good trumpets are custom calls and are fairly expensive. If you enjoy a challenge, definitely get one and start learning to use it. It is a very effective call and in the right hands sounds more like a turkey than just about any other call.

Melvin4730

The trumpet calls are "icing on the cake". For someone just getting into turkey hunting, like others have mentioned, I would learn the box call, mouth call, pot call (slate, glass, copper, etc.) first. Start killing turkeys then add something different like the trumpet or tube call.

They sound good, but it takes a while to learn. The other calls are much easier to learn.

I have a tube call and a trumpet call that I practice on, but I'm no where near good enough to kill a turkey with them.

M Sharpe

There is no time like the present to learn. However, I don't go along with buying calls that are "good enough for now". If a call doesn't play well or is hard to play, then leave it. The learning curve is much shorter on a fine trumpet from a reputable callmaker. If they draw easy, you don't have to fight them so much.

The Fever

Thanks guys. I tried the diaphram calls for three years but I think the top of my mouth isn't ideal for them. I have a simple box and a simple slate call and was just looking for something to add to the arsenal because I have already found out first hand they can be real picky on what they respond too.

hambone76

A scratch box would be a good addition. If you have an actual "slate" surface on you pot, get a glass call or other material that will sound different. I like a scratch box for soft calls or a simple push pin call for one hand operation. I have messed with my trumpet call for a year or so and I'm not ready to scare turkeys with it yet either.

gblrklr

There is no time like the present to learn. However, I don't go along with buying calls that are "good enough for now". If a call doesn't play well or is hard to play, then leave it. The learning curve is much shorter on a fine trumpet from a reputable callmaker. If they draw easy, you don't have to fight them so much.
Excellent advice!

muddpuppi

i will agree with Mark...if you get one get a good one...most are 100 and up from a reputable callmaker...the learning curve is also different for each person...some get it fast some take longer and some just dont get it...air control is the key....less is more with a yelper...as Mark said a yelper that draws easy is alot more consistent in its use and you have more control...knowing you duck hunt it is alot like learnin to blow a duck call...even though its a suction call....the air control is most important...if you are intersted in a call talk to others that use them and ask there opinions on makers before you get one....most have a good selection and can point you in the right dirrection....

Craig

Melvin4730

The trumpet calls are "icing on the cake". For someone just getting into turkey hunting, like others have mentioned, I would learn the box call, mouth call, pot call (slate, glass, copper, etc.) first. Start killing turkeys then add something different like the trumpet or tube call.

They sound good, but it takes a while to learn. The other calls are much easier to learn.

I have a tube call and a trumpet call that I practice on, but I'm no where near good enough to kill a turkey with them.

The point I was trying to make is, for someone that is trying to get started in turkey hunting, it might not be a good idea to drop a $100+ on a turkey call. I've seen new people start to get into it and discover how hard it can be at first (there's a lot to learn) and not stick with it. If they start killing turkeys using the other types of calls (easier and less expensive) and know that they will stick with it, then they can add the icing on the cake (custom calls, truphet calls, etc.).

Scottyhardison

If your wanting to learn the machanics of a trumpet but don't have the $ for a quality one contact Mr. Gerry at Bramsbones.com and have him make you a wingbone call for hunting on a budget. Mr. Gerry's wingbone's are top notch, and the artwork he paints on them are nothing short of amazing. Running a wingbone has similar mechanics as a trumpet producing a distinct sound of their own, and I'm sure Mr Gerry can work up something for you in your price range if you let him know what it is your looking to get out of it.

ssm

However, I don't go along with buying calls that are "good enough for now". If a call doesn't play well or is hard to play, then leave it. The learning curve is much shorter on a fine trumpet from a reputable callmaker. If they draw easy, you don't have to fight them so much.

I agree with this totally with any type of call. I had several home made wingbones and a couple of cheap trumpets over the years. I felt like I was pretty good on them. About 4 years ago I got a trumpett from Alan Sentell. The difference was eye opening at how much easier a good call was to run and how much better the sounds I could make were.

This is true with mouth calls, slate calls and boxes. I am as proficient as anyone on any type turkey call. But there are a lot of calls out there that do not sound good and you can not make them sound good. So many new people to the sport or someone that is new to a particular type call will struggle with it, because they bought some junk.

Sadler McGraw

MKW

I agree with this totally with any type of call. I had several home made wingbones and a couple of cheap trumpets over the years. I felt like I was pretty good on them. About 4 years ago I got a trumpett from Alan Sentell. The difference was eye opening at how much easier a good call was to run and how much better the sounds I could make were.

This is true with mouth calls, slate calls and boxes. I am as proficient as anyone on any type turkey call. But there are a lot of calls out there that do not sound good and you can not make them sound good. So many new people to the sport or someone that is new to a particular type call will struggle with it, because they bought some junk.

Sadler McGraw

I agree also. A good trumpet is not that hard to learn, but they do take practice. Many, many calls are made for collectors and not hunters. Pretty does not mean productive. My advise... ask around, and be sure you are talking to hunters. Asking about what call to buy on an open forum will often get you responses from "promoters" and not customers that successfully hunt the calls they buy.
Good luck. A trumpet is a great tool.

Mike

muddpuppi

you are spot on with that one Mike....and Saddler....the best way to get a call is at some of the shows where you have a chance to run them hands on and see for yourself...Perry would be a good place to start...

B Fenters

Most good trumpets are custom calls and are fairly expensive. If you enjoy a challenge, definitely get one and start learning to use it. It is a very effective call and in the right hands sounds more like a turkey than just about any other call.
I agree, my husband makes them and I watch people talking about them alot. Best of luck this year during Turkey Season.

B Fenters

Sadler McGraw
I agree