Turkey on the pellet grill

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
If you want it done by today you better turn up the heat. How's that for a tip?
Doesn’t usually take but about two and a half hours to smoke a turkey unless it’s pterodactyl sized.

fflintlock

Useles Billy’s Clubhouse Maintenance man
Cook it like you do in an oven. That's how I do mine when I use the Pit Boss pellet smoker. Turns out great every time.
I like B&B post oak pellets the best. Academy sells them, if you have one close by. I've baked bread in mine too.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
brine that bird for at least 12 hours, 24 is better. Then smoke it. I start mine out on the smoke setting for a couple of hours, then pop it up to 350. How long I leave it depend on the size of the bird. I did one today that was 22lbs. I left it on 350 for 4-1/2 hours

mguthrie

**# 1 Fan**OHIO STATE**
I smoked a 17 lb bird this morning. High heat is what you want. Mine was done in 2 hours and 45 minutes in an Oklahoma Joe offset smoker. I kept the smoker at 350-400. I did brine it for 24 hours in a lanes bbq brine then let it dry overnight in the fridge uncovered. It was the best bird I’ve smoked :bounce:

Geffellz18

Just did my first one on the traeger today & literally everyone raved about it being the best Turkey they’ve ever had by far! I admit it was a dang good bird!
I simply injected it with creole butter and sprinkled some Cajun seasoning on it.
When researching, there were several thoughts about what temp range to go with and start at this temp for this long then crank it up to this temp for that long.
I opted to just run with 275 and see how it goes being it was my first stab at it!

Worked out great for me….
15.5lb bird, injected & rubbed, set in a roasting pan, 275 on the dial. Smoked for two hours, then turned 180 degrees and smoked another hour, then basted it with some injection I kept to the side & added a foil tent over the breast area-using toothpicks to keep the recommended 1” gap between the bird & foil. Continued to smoke until the breasts hit 160-Took about 5 1/2hrs. Removed from the smoker, basted again, wrapped and let it rest for 30-45 minutes or so before carving.
The juiciest & most flavorful Turkey I’ve made, hands down-Just the right amount of smoke flavor, wasn’t overbearing at all!
IMG_7201.jpegIMG_7203.jpeg

Midpoint 180 degree turn
IMG_7207.jpeg
Finished product
IMG_7215.jpeg
IMG_7217.jpeg
A buddy of mine and most recipes mention to carefully separate the skin from the meat and rub 1/4” butter throughout. We didn’t do that because we had a few folks that have a dairy allergy. Not sure it would have made a significant difference to be honest. Did not take the time to brine it either, but most recipes call for that too.
All I know is every piece of meat was super moist and flavor packed, even after sitting for awhile until I went back for seconds!

Last edited:

Oldstick

I'm sure everyone is sick of turkey by now but, due to circumstances, I did not get my fix of turkey and dressing yesterday. I will today though.

Right at 165 now after 2 or 3 hours.

Attachments

• IMG_0001.JPG
    IMG_0001.JPG
    208.2 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_0007.JPG
    IMG_0007.JPG
    227.2 KB · Views: 7

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
No pics, but mine turned out excellent. Positive comments from the crew. I do the butter thing, it helps keep the bird moist. I also brined the bird for 12 hours. I know they may already be brined but all the spices and fruit add flavor to the bird besides a salt brine.

Last edited: