Turkey Shoots

Does anyone know of any upcoming turkey shoots in the metro or north GA area? Looking to take my son to a few this year.

mark-7mag

Useless Billy Director of transpotation
I saw a sign for one in Cave Spring at the Cedar Campground yesterday but I don’t remember the date.

Big7

The Oracle
Union Chapel just south of Monroe has one, maybe more every thanksgiving.

Q-92 WMOQ Radio out of Bostwick advertises is heavily. If you can get that station it's probably on their website. Failing that, they are a small enough station, if you call, they will actually answer the phone.

Look them or Union Chapel's number up and call them. If I remember right, they have prizes like guns and I can't remember what else but they have other stuff too.

You can bring your shotgun or use theirs but you have to shoot their shells.

A few more around here and if I remember where, I'll post it.

gobbleinwoods

Keeper of the Magic Word
there is usually one outside of Social Circle but I've not driven by there recently to know.

Core Lokt

I haven't heard of a turkey shoot around here in years. Dad used to go to them as a kid. He won a few and one time they gave time a live turkey as the prize. He said he got not far through the orange grove going home and had to kill it. Said it liked to have beat him to death :ROFLMAO:

LTZ25

Turkey shoots have ways to make winning easier , oil your barrel heavy before shooting is one way , should be only one gun for everybody and make sure every target is hit .

GunnSmokeer

I used to think that my Marlin model 55 had a long barrel because it's 28 inches long, fixed full choke.

But when I showed up at my first turkey shoot at the VFW post on Hwy 9 in Cumming Georgia, I found several people there with gun barrels from 36 to 48 inches.

One guy came the next year with a custom-made 60 inch barrel-- yes the barrel itself was 5 feet long!!! I got hold it and pose for a picture. (Sorry, I don't have a copy of that picture handy; this was several years ago.)

It was difficult to hold horizontally, unsupported, but at that VFW post everybody is allowed to shoot off of the metal railing, and the metal railing is padded with sandbags at several points to facilitate this.

GunnSmokeer

ECC64BB7-ACE3-4595-A985-688B95465B4D.jpeg

I may go to this one, at 347 Holly St. in Canton, this coming Saturday.
The cost to shoot is five dollars per shell and they'll supply the shell if you're using 12, 16, or 20 gauge.