Tybee Inshore

Seanote

I took a couple of young friends out yesterday with hopes of finding a new trout spot or two. We fished with artificial baits for about 3 hours with 2 flounder and a trout boated. I decided to do some bottom fishing and maybe put them on a shark. Ended up finishing off the cooler space with whiting and croakers. Also caught a 4 ft. bonnetthead, and a couple of 3 ft. spinners. It was very cool to have several Manta Rays breaching the water around the boat in the sound. A very nice day on the water.

Attachments

• Nattflounder.JPEG
    Nattflounder.JPEG
    166.2 KB · Views: 67

Doboy Dawg

What bait for manta ray?

Wasn’t fishing for them, but I was anchored in the Matanzas River in St. Augustine, and managed to hook into 4 of them, on fresh dead shrimp, at the same time.

We were bottom fishing and it was dead low tide. You couldn’t keep the lines tight. The fish had basically quit biting, so we started eating lunch, when all 4 heavy Penn Senator rods doubled over.

We had a 18lb navy fluke anchor out tied off to the bow. Whatever had hit all 4 rods was dragging us stern first seaward. We pulled the anchor and started reeling in one rod at a time. As soon as we got each one up we cut a 4-6’ wingspan Manta Ray off.

It took us about 30 minutes to get all four rods unhooked. The only thing I’ve ever caught that fought harder than those Mantas was a big Sea Turtle I hooked offshore of St. Simons.