Tying flies to leader: Hands of Stone

turkeykirk

Went fishing for a few days in North Georgia on a small stream this past week. Been a long time since I went fly fishing. Boy, was I in for a surprise. Couldn’t hard see the eye of the hook to thread the leader and then couldn’t hardly tie the knot because of hand problems ( 30 years using air and hand wrench’s as a heavy equipment mechanic). Heck getting old.
Was wondering how you older guy tie your knots, etc.?

almoore

I tie them poorly as I've gotten older, particularly in cold weather. Can't see and can't feel light tippet. The first thing I do is take off my sun glasses and face away from the sun. Magnified reading glasses can help. The easiest knot to tie is probably the clinch knot. I prefer the Davy Knot for most circumstances and for bigger flies a no-slip mono loop. To avoid dropping and losing flies I'll clip them at the hook bend in hemostats before tieing. I find I break off more fish (or foliage) up the tippet at a surgeon's knot than at the fly and so I use tippet rings where I can.

turkeykirk

Thanks fellas. Really like the Davy Knot.

Meriwether Mike

If the eye on your fly is really big you will need to use the improved clinch as the Davy will slip on big eyes. Always test the davy and if the end sticks out 90 degrees you are good.

Concrete Pete

Anglers Image and Topnotch Innovations both make magnetic fly threaders.

These should help you with threading leader through the eye of the fly hook a lot.

Basically these devices hold and align the fly in a way that makes threading the fly really easy. Almost like you could do it blind folded.

For the tying issue you mentioned, that’s going to be tough. Sorry to hear it’s a problem. You might want to look at getting a Knot Needle. I have one, but haven’t used it yet. Check out the youtube videos. I think it’ll help.

Fly fishing has a gadget for everything.