Uneasy rider

Baroque Brass

Charlie Daniels fans (if you’re not a CDB fan, what ails ya?) may remember a song, or more of a story telling with musical accompaniment, called Uneasy Rider. I’d forgotten about it but it crossed my mind so I found it on you tube and gave it a listen. It’s funny as heck, anyone that’s never heard it will like it and if you’ve heard it, it’s certainly worth hearing again. Ol’ Charlie was as good a story teller as Arlo Guthrie.

Just a side note, I was talking with a retired state trooper yesterday that was working the Super Bowl in Atlanta, whenever that was. They were on the field and Charlie was there, my friend said Charlie just walked up to him, introduced himself, and started chatting.

buckmanmike

I saw Charlie Daniel’s band in Athens in the early 70’s. It was on campass, but can’t member where. Outside, thinking near where the bookstore is. Probably a parking lot or building now.

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
I met Charlie Daniels in the same way. I was a cop thru the 90s, and wound up guarding the bus area at a stadium concert.

I was walking around, and Daniels and some of his crew were standing outside his bus.

Next thing you know, I'd shook his hand and stood around with him a few minutes. He asked about me, my family, and what was good to eat in town.

It was way more like talking to just any old feller, than a celebrity.

Nice guy.

Cool Hand Luke

Great American :flag:
Saw him at the Opry a few years ago not long before the end. He could still tear up a fiddle! Uneasy Rider was a great song amongst many others. Heard him sing "How Great Thou Art" at a republican rally I attended years ago with that big voice put goosebumps all over.

specialk

Never met him but did see him twice at the fox with alabama and again with travis tritt...charlie was a great american...

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
Saw him in concert in Little Rock in 80s. He was absolutely awesome!

bass4fun

He did another version, uneasy rider 88. That one is a hoot for sure!

alphachief

Love the CDB. Just picked up this old contract of his the other day. It came from the Phil Walden estate.

Attachments

• IMG_3570.jpeg
    IMG_3570.jpeg
    256.7 KB · Views: 22

specialk

I remember 2 fun songs he did, one where a he was riding thru the south and had a flat tire near a bar....the other was him and a buddy traveling along and stopped at a bar where ''fellers were dancing and fellers were kissing''......both great funny songs!!

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
There were two versions of that?
Yep. The latest one was about accidentally going into a gay bar and encountering a cross-dresser. It would be transphobic now. :)

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Didn't get much better than CDB. I met Charlie and his keyboard player Taz at an all-night gas station off I-40 near my house. Real friendly, laid-back guys.

Hillbilly stalker

Saw him live at Coyote Joes in Charlotte NC. Small joint but a great concert, back in 90-91 I reckon. Saw him back in 84 at the Civic center in Huntington. I always liked most all his songs.

earlthegoat2

I saw CDB at the 2002 B93 birthday bash at the Allegan County fairgrounds in MI at the ripe old age of 19.

An experience I will not forget, I reckon.

Last edited:

Geffellz18

Saw him in Charlotte awhile back when the NRA convention was there. Was a Great show.
I’ll have to check these songs out.

Stroker

Met Charlie in 1974 in Nashville through friends Billy Smooth and Tommy Crain who had a band called Buckeye. They were the house band for a big bar called Mullenbrinks. Every so often Charlies band would come in and play the second set. Wasn't long before Tommy left Buckeye to play with Charlie. Got my tickets for the first Volunteer Jam from Charlie. I went to every Volunteer Jam till 1990. Seen SRV play twice there. Never knew who was gonna show up. One I'll never forget was when Johnny VZ done his first show with Skynyrd, replacing his brother. Everybody went wild when he came out.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Met Charlie in 1974 in Nashville through friends Billy Smooth and Tommy Crain who had a band called Buckeye. They were the house band for a big bar called Mullenbrinks. Every so often Charlies band would come in and play the second set. Wasn't long before Tommy left Buckeye to play with Charlie. Got my tickets for the first Volunteer Jam from Charlie. I went to every Volunteer Jam till 1990. Seen SRV play twice there. Never knew who was gonna show up. One I'll never forget was when Johnny VZ done his first show with Skynyrd, replacing his brother. Everybody went wild when he came out.
Tommy Crain was an amazing musician. Him and Taz DiGregorio were 75% of the sound of CDB, even more so that Charlie's fiddle.

Paleo

Dump Trump Movement CEO
Charlie Daniel's Band was the first concert I ever attended. I was 12 years old so it would have been 1974 at DeKalb Community College. Went with a friend from my elementary school and we were dropped off and picked up by one of his parents. Cost less than $5. The opening act was "Capricorn Recording Artists...HYDRA"! It was a great show, we were the only kids there. The smell of weed smoke was thick in the air:p