Unusual condiments, spices,& sauces?

Artfuldodger

I'm in to lime juice lately. I squeeze the juice of about 6 limes, add a little salt, and put it in a shaker bottle.
It's good sprinkled on fish and Mexican food such as carnitas.
One time I added a little hot sauce to the mix.

Related to lime and a new discovery to me is Tajin. A condiment consisting primarily of chile peppers, lime, and salt. It's good on fruit, melons, and almost everything if you like tang. They sell it a Walmart. My Walmart had it where the minced garlic was.

Balsamic glaze is good on veggies.

Gochujang sounds interesting. I hear a lot about smoked paprika. I'm not sure if I've ever had pesto. I like cilantro, horseradish, and tamarind. I tried Ponzu, it was just OK. I might have to try lime Ponzu. I'm OK with curry paste.

So does anyone have special condiment, sauce, or spice blend they like? Maybe some homemade concoction like mayo and bacon grease, ketchup and curry, avocoda and sour cream, sofrito, etc.

Here is a sauce I ran across; Mang Tomas Sauce
Mang Tomas is the brand of an all-purpose sauce that Filipinos love. Many eaters often wonder what it’s made from. The crucial ingredient is liver!
I'd give it a try.

mark-7mag

Useless Billy Director of transpotation
Dub turned me on to Pineapple Head seasoning a few years back. We use it mainly on sweet potatoes. It’s also really good on grilled pineapple and salmon. It may sound weird but putting it on vanilla ice cream will knock your socks off. We have given it as gifts to friends and now they are hooked.

Dub

Nothing too unusual, here, I suppose.

Chimichurri sauce on grilled steak is great.

Tarragon was the perfect seasoning for sawmill gravy.

I agree with you on fresh lime juice. I'll often use a microplane grater to remove some of the peel and use as a flavor enhancer. Lime zest is outstanding on grilled food and sides.

No mysteries about sriracha sauce, either. Stuff is great on eggs, soups, home rolled sushi, inside eggrolls, in bbq sauces and etc.

Dub turned me on to Pineapple Head seasoning a few years back. We use it mainly on sweet potatoes. It’s also really good on grilled pineapple and salmon. It may sound weird but putting it on vanilla ice cream will knock your socks off. We have given it as gifts to friends and now they are hooked.

Glad you've enjoyed it.

It works great on baby back ribs, too. :cool:

dwhee87

GON Political Forum Scientific Studies Poster
Have to find me some Pineapple Head seasoning. I love fresh lime and lime zest...really anything cirtus.

I'm a big fan of most of the latin spices, whether from Central America or Spain.

Can't make paella without smoked paprika. I can't put enough chopped cilantro on a taco.

Artfuldodger

The Pineapple Head seasoning sounds interesting. My wife thinks it weird I put salt and pepper on cantaloupe or salt on watermelon.
She puts sugar on grapefruit and I put salt on grapefruit.
Mexicans put that Tajin seasoning on melons and fruit.

I think that's the basis for the Pineapple Head seasoning plus the flavoring from the spices. The sweet/salty/tangy connection.

Reminds me of Saladitos. Saladitos are plums which are dried, salted and which can also be sweetened with sugar and anise or coated in chili and lime. On some occasions, to spice up drinks, a few saladitos are put at the bottom of drinks like Sprite, ginger ale or beer. They also stick them in oranges and eat them.
They are popular in Asian countries as well. The ones from Mexico are suppose to be better than the ones from China.

I haven't tried them. A co-worker from California told me about them.

https://www.mexgrocer.com/saladitos.html

little rascal

un-ordinary stuff

Have rubbed a brisket with taco seasoning, one of the best I have tasted.
Tequila and Rum on ribs several times.
Fresh Pineapple slices in a bag with pork chops or country ribs.
I like making sauce from dried chiles.
Have brushed fish in mayo then bread it and fry it.
Maple syrup, soy sauce and ginger powder to brush on smoked fish.
Sweet and sour or plum or duck sauce for a glaze on pork.
Tamarind powder as a salt/pepper substitute.
Espresso for rub on beef or pork.
Chicken fat on stuff in place of bacon grease or oil,
and the list goes on.....

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Not really unusual but pepper jelly makes a great glaze for ribs.

I canned up a big batch of scuppernong-jalapeno jelly this year, I'll have to try that!

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I like Moroccan harissa sauce made with preserved (salted) lemons. Also, Indian green chutney. Greek tzatziki sauce. If you're like me and love lime or lemon in everything, try the Vietnamese "dipping sauce" where you mix sea salt and black pepper in a ramekin, then squeeze a lime into it. Surprisingly good.

I like to make compound butter. My favorite for steak is softened butter mixed with bacon grease, garlic, thyme, black pepper, and oregano.

mrs. hornet22

Beach Dreamer
I like a mayo, worcestershire, mustard, curry concoction to dip my country fried venison in.
I like a sour cream, mayo, lemon juice, horseradish, dill weed concoction on my pork. I guess that the only thing we concoct.
I do love malt vinegar on my fish, but it's store bought. :D

Steak don't need a thing. :fine:

Artfuldodger

I like Moroccan harissa sauce made with preserved (salted) lemons. Also, Indian green chutney. Greek tzatziki sauce. If you're like me and love lime or lemon in everything, try the Vietnamese "dipping sauce" where you mix sea salt and black pepper in a ramekin, then squeeze a lime into it. Surprisingly good.

I like to make compound butter. My favorite for steak is softened butter mixed with bacon grease, garlic, thyme, black pepper, and oregano.

I have a bookmarked link for preserved lemons. I too love anything lemon or lime. I squeeze lemon juice on vanilla ice cream.

Here is the link to making preserved lemons/limes;
http://www.melindalee.com/recipes/preserved-lemons-and-limes/

Artfuldodger

Related to compound butter, I made this BOURSIN CHEESE spread a few times. We eat it with crackers but others suggested using it as a compound butter of meat.

BOURSIN CHEESE

½ tsp garlic powder
2 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese (softened)
1/2 cup butter
3 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 teaspoon dried dill weed
1/4 teaspoon dried basil
1/4 teaspoon dried marjoram
1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
1/4 teaspoon pepper
½ tsp onion powder
salt to taste if needed

WHIP THE BUTTER WITH ¼ CUP MILK. ADD THE OTHER INGREDIENTS AND WHIP.

Artfuldodger

I like a mayo, worcestershire, mustard, curry concoction to dip my country fried venison in.
I like a sour cream, mayo, lemon juice, horseradish, dill weed concoction on my pork. I guess that the only thing we concoct.
I do love malt vinegar on my fish, but it's store bought. :D

Steak don't need a thing. :fine:

I'm with you on the steak. Some do like to melt butter on them. I've never tried that. Your concoction for pork sounds good.

Dr. Strangelove

Garlic aioli (Garlic Mayonnaise) is hardly unusual or rare, but make up a homemade batch and it's hard to beat on fries or anything that needs dipped.

I like to make the classic French sauces - Bearnaise, Hollandaise, etc., because while they were all the rage 20-30 years ago they have fallen out of favor and most folks don't know what they are now or have had them made from the little packets you get at the store.

Take five minutes and whip up a fresh batch of Hollandaise for Eggs Benedict or to pour over bacon wrapped asparagus with dinner and people will think you're some kind of wizard (those that don't cook like we do in this forum, anyway :bounce: )

ambush80

I'm in to lime juice lately. I squeeze the juice of about 6 limes, add a little salt, and put it in a shaker bottle.
It's good sprinkled on fish and Mexican food such as carnitas.
One time I added a little hot sauce to the mix.

Related to lime and a new discovery to me is Tajin. A condiment consisting primarily of chile peppers, lime, and salt. It's good on fruit, melons, and almost everything if you like tang. They sell it a Walmart. My Walmart had it where the minced garlic was.

Balsamic glaze is good on veggies.

Gochujang sounds interesting. I hear a lot about smoked paprika. I'm not sure if I've ever had pesto. I like cilantro, horseradish, and tamarind. I tried Ponzu, it was just OK. I might have to try lime Ponzu. I'm OK with curry paste.

So does anyone have special condiment, sauce, or spice blend they like? Maybe some homemade concoction like mayo and bacon grease, ketchup and curry, avocoda and sour cream, sofrito, etc.

Here is a sauce I ran across; Mang Tomas Sauce
Mang Tomas is the brand of an all-purpose sauce that Filipinos love. Many eaters often wonder what it’s made from. The crucial ingredient is liver!
I'd give it a try.

Mang Tomas is a classic accompaniment to Lechon or Filipino pig cooked over a spit. Lechon is unique in that the skin becomes smooth and shiny and cracks, almost shatters. It's very yummy. The leftovers are often made into a stew called Paksiw which uses Mang Tomas as a base. Some additional liver in the form of liverwurst is also often added.

I like Pickapeppa sauce on many, many things.

Dub

Mang Tomas is a classic accompaniment to Lechon or Filipino pig cooked over a spit. Lechon is unique in that the skin becomes smooth and shiny and cracks, almost shatters. It's very yummy. The leftovers are often made into a stew called Paksiw which uses Mang Tomas as a base. Some additional liver in the form of liverwurst is also often added.

I like Pickapeppa sauce on many, many things.

Pickapeppa is outstanding !!!

I really like this version, too.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member