Upcoming Appleseed Shoots in GA

Folks, the cool weather season is upon us. No more excuses about it being too hot. I cannot think of a better time of year than the next 3 months to get on the ground and do some shooting.

In case you don't know, Appleseed is a weekend marksmanship clinic put on all across our nation every weekend. We teach proper body positions aka Steady Hold Factors for each of the primary shooting positions, which are standing, sitting, kneeling and prone. We allow shooters to shoot kneeling if they cannot form a comfortable sitting position. If you have a hard time kneeling, don't worry, its not a requirement. We also teach proper use of a sling, we prefer the USGI websling that can be had for about $10-$15 at any surplus store. We then go on to teaching the 6 steps to firing the shot. Then we discuss rifleman's cadence, rifleman's dance, rifleman's bubble. We do shot group analysis. We teach you how to adjust your sights based on math, not a little this way or that. We teach what we call IMC, Inches, Minutes, Clicks. This allows you to adjust your sights on any rifle or scope for a target at any range. You will have a better understanding of MOA, minute of angle, and understand why the M1 Garand was such a special tool that took all this into consideration. Finally, we will shoot what we call AQT's, or army qualification tests. These are for you to compete against yourself and improve your score. Shooters can have their targets scored, or store them away for studying later. A perfect score would be 250, a rifleman's score is 210, which is quite a challenge. If you accomplish this with a .22, I would encourage you to try it again with your main battle rifle. Most people learn the course the first time with a .22 to save on ammo. If you don't have a rifle or a .22, we are glad to lend one to you free of charge. We want to introduce this program to everyone in America in order to recreate a nation of Rifleman. We find qualities in a rifleman that go above and beyond the shooting range. We need more people that hold those qualities to be among us in society and in public office.

Also, Active Duty Military, Law Enforcement, Women, and people under 21 all shoot FREE, well registration fees only! If you are not in those categories, its $70 for the weekend.

If you do not see a shoot location near you, you can contact me and help setup a shoot at a location you have in mind. We can either work with ranges or with private property owners. We do carry our own insurance, so a private property owner would not have to worry about the liability. We also typically charge $10 per shooter per weekend, so that can be revenue for a gun club or a property owner. All we need is a 25 yard shooting range with a safe backstop and a mowed field. We bring our own targets, backers, tents and everything else. We will bring instructors to any location. We have some exciting prospects, but I know they will be at least 3-6 months out. Look below the schedule for a description of the Appleseed Program.

Here are the events scheduled through the end of the year:

October 2011
Toccoa, GA - Oct 1-2 Information Register (Sold out, but more positions should be available by 9/21, probably will sell out again)
Waco, GA - Oct 8-9 Information Register
Rising Fawn, GA - Oct 22-23 Information Register
November 2011
Toccoa, GA - Nov 5-6 Information Register
Rising Fawn, GA - Nov 19-20 Information Register
December 2011
Toccoa, GA - Dec 3-4 - Canceled
Dublin, GA - Dec 10-11 Information Register
Waco, GA - Dec 10-11 Information Register

I guarantee you will leave with your head held higher based on what you learned at an Appleseed. You will have an appreciation for the founding generation of our great nation.

People around the country literally drive up to 6 and 8 hours to go to one of these. In Georgia, we are fortunate enough to have one within an hour and a half or so for most of us(and the rest of you, we are constantly working on it). I know the Toccoa and Waco shooting ranges allow us to camp for free. You need to notify me if you plan to camp at Waco, as the gate is closed at the road and it is at least a mile to where we camp, with no direct line of site. I will find out if On Target at Fox Mountain offers free camping as well as the Dublin Range.

Please don't hesitate to post up any questions or PM me directly.

Last edited:

famdoc2892

Thanks, foxtrotterz!

Myself and a friend were introduced to the Appleseed Project, and have been trying to plan a trip. My 3 children and his 2 children are excited as well, and I can't think of a better way for them (and me!) to learn American history in context!

Thank you for what you are doing for shooters, the next generation of hunters, and, most of all, for American citizens! PM coming your way in regards to hosting a meet at our shooting club in Chattooga County in the near future!

Thanks Famdoc for your enthusiasm about the program. I think others would be just as excited if they knew what it does to people. I literally left my first shoot and called almost every person I could think of in the hour and a half ride home. I look forward to meeting you and sharing such an incredible history message and marksmanship with your family and friends.

Nemo

It would be great

1. if I could get one of your shoots on my schedule to attend. I am strong interested.

2. if you could work something out in S. Ga. I would make that work. I would be a nickel you could work something out with the Lonesome Dove range (Tifton) or Little River (Valdosta).

Either one would near guarantee my attendance.

Nemo

1. if I could get one of your shoots on my schedule to attend. I am strong interested.

2. if you could work something out in S. Ga. I would make that work. I would be a nickel you could work something out with the Lonesome Dove range (Tifton) or Little River (Valdosta).

Either one would near guarantee my attendance.

Nemo
Nemo,

Thanks for your reply. I have actually spoken with one of the head members at Little River and he was very open to hosting a shoot. He planned to talk with his board and get back with me. I just spoke with him last week, so I expect to hear something within a month. From there, we will access if it is feasible to get a shoot on the schedule by the end of the year or if we will take advantage of the cold weather months and migrate down that way by January or February. I will either start a new post or add to this one, once we have something on the books. Hope to see you and some others from here out at an Appleseed in the future.

ETA: I will talk with Lonesome Dove range and see if we can get one going there. If you or anyone else already has a contact there, I would be glad to use that connection to introduce myself instead of a cold call. I appreciate the heads up.

Nemo

Shoot me a PM

and I will put you in touch with a someone who can give you the info on the Lonesome Dove range in Tifton.

Nemo

Got one coming up this weekend out in Waco. Hope to see some of you there. We had 3 rifleman at the Toccoa shoot this last weekend and several people step up to become volunteer instructors along side us. Come on out and see what it is all about, let me know if you need to use a rifle.

We got a shoot coming up this weekend in Rising Fawn.

Going to be beautiful weather. I hope some of you can make it out to see us. This is a great location for any of you in the Rome, Calhoun, Ringold parts of Georgia. I think it is only about 30 min south of Chattanooga if anyone has any friends up that way that might make it.

Let me know if anyone has any questions or needs any equipment.

BlackKnight755

Nemo,

Thanks for your reply. I have actually spoken with one of the head members at Little River and he was very open to hosting a shoot. He planned to talk with his board and get back with me. I just spoke with him last week, so I expect to hear something within a month. From there, we will access if it is feasible to get a shoot on the schedule by the end of the year or if we will take advantage of the cold weather months and migrate down that way by January or February. I will either start a new post or add to this one, once we have something on the books. Hope to see you and some others from here out at an Appleseed in the future.

ETA: I will talk with Lonesome Dove range and see if we can get one going there. If you or anyone else already has a contact there, I would be glad to use that connection to introduce myself instead of a cold call. I appreciate the heads up.

I know that the Little River range is a dry weather range. If it rains a good bit it floods so there may need to be some considerations for that. As far as the Lonesome Dove range, I can give you Mike Masseys (range owner) contact information if you still need it. Just shoot me a pm and I'll get you in touch with him. Also there is a rifle range in Pearson at Parkers Gunshop. I know that they have a monthly centerfire match and about every other month they have a rimfire match. They may be interested in hosting an Appleseed. I can also provide you contact information for Phil and Parker Liles (range owners) if you would like to contact them.

Hey guys, we got our last shoot in Toccoa coming up this weekend. If you are in the northeast region of the state, this is your best bet. We will be shooting out to 300 yards on Sunday, so bring your centerfires if you got em. Hope to see some of you there, please let me know if you need a rifle.