Urine

sportsman94

I’m getting the trapping itch. What species are you using and where are you getting it from? I have fox and coyote pee from keg creek. Good, strong stuff. I also have a couple gallons I collected from coyotes last year. I’ve frozen some of it to concentrate it. Lastly, I have about a pint of bladder urine from bobcats.

furtaker

I have a hunch that most commercial urines from the big trap supply houses are about 75% urine blended from about a hundred different coyotes. I don't have much faith in it.

Fox Hollow used to make a urine called "Mag P" that was good stuff. It was more than just plain urine. It probably had some gland lure mixed in. I think it's discontinued now though. I still have some left.

furtaker

I've heard more than one professional trapper say that urine from a single male coyote works better than blended urine. I think that's all Gary Jepson uses, as well as Steeltraps over on Trapperman.

sportsman94

I've heard more than one professional trapper say that urine from a single male coyote works better than blended urine. I think that's all Gary Jepson uses, as well as Steeltraps over on Trapperman.

I’ve heard it too. I think Wayne Derrick is a believer in the single male as well. I’m planning to pen up a big male for a couple days and put the theory to the test. Of course, two of the highest number coyote trappers couldn’t care less if there’s comes from one or 100 coyotes so I’m betting for the average trapper it won’t matter. For someone trying to get the last dog on their property it might help I bet. As with all things trapping, if you ask three trappers opinions, the only thing that two will agree on is that the third guys wrong

furtaker

I’ve heard it too. I think Wayne Derrick is a believer in the single male as well. I’m planning to pen up a big male for a couple days and put the theory to the test. Of course, two of the highest number coyote trappers couldn’t care less if there’s comes from one or 100 coyotes so I’m betting for the average trapper it won’t matter. For someone trying to get the last dog on their property it might help I bet. As with all things trapping, if you ask three trappers opinions, the only thing that two will agree on is that the third guys wrong
I'd love to spend a couple of days with those long liners and ride with them and pick their brain.

sportsman94

Who do you all buy your single male coyote urine from? I’ve been wanting to buy some.

I’ve never used it. Wayne Derrick used to sell it when he collected urine, but I haven’t seen any urine from him available for a few years. I plan to collect my own. As far as I know collecting your own or finding someone who does is about the only way

sleepr71

I’m probably the least experienced in the forum(2 years exp). My impression: I’m Not sure it matters? What matters is that they smell another predator,or especially..a strange Coyote. Once they associate a certain smell( urine #1)..with traps..they avoid it. I’ve used Fox + Coyote urine from Walmart/Academy..and had good results..until they get used to it & recognize it as a red flag;). Then,I switch to Cat urine,or a new(strange) Coyote urine…and catches pick back up. Yes,I have used regular housecat urine..and “droppings”…and it WORKED :). All this to say: you’ll catch the easy ones first…then you have to start slinging Curve balls..then knuckle balls…as they get smarter. Some of them…you won’t ever catch…:rofl:

sportsman94

@furtaker i want you to make a thread on blind sets when you start setting. Name it blindsets for dummies or blindsets for sportsman94. Show the when, why, where, how’s. I’ve caught a handful on blind sets, but only one way. Fourwheeler trail, sticks/limbs/saplings laid across it leaving only enough space between for a trap. I haven’t done one in awhile, maybe I should start back this year. It works if people aren’t driving the trails, but I would love to up my blind set game.

@cj580guitar can probably contribute heavily if he doesn’t mind sharing his secrets. Yall just remember to dumb it down for me as much as possible

furtaker

@furtaker i want you to make a thread on blind sets when you start setting. Name it blindsets for dummies or blindsets for sportsman94. Show the when, why, where, how’s. I’ve caught a handful on blind sets, but only one way. Fourwheeler trail, sticks/limbs/saplings laid across it leaving only enough space between for a trap. I haven’t done one in awhile, maybe I should start back this year. It works if people aren’t driving the trails, but I would love to up my blind set game.

@cj580guitar can probably contribute heavily if he doesn’t mind sharing his secrets. Yall just remember to dumb it down for me as much as possible
I'm far from an expert. This video is what helped me the most. Order it and I promise you will be glad you did.

cj580guitar

Yea man I’ll try to remember to take a few pics of some when I start setting this year.

Latest posts