Using a computer power supply for electrolysis

Baroque Brass

I dont think you can use salt because it causes some sort of chlorine gas, but I've also heard of people using it.

I didnt get an A (or B) chemistry so I'm not too affluent in the subject, but my lungs are already on the mend from some sort of chemical or dust irritation, so Im going to err on the side of caution.

What I've read is you want to use sodium carbonate, which is found in Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda, but just going off what I was reading and watching, others said you could use Borax as an alternative (yet, I never saw anyone using it come to think of it)

I couldn't find the Super Washing Soda in stores, so I opted for borax and I'm not having great results. It's taking days and its getting the crud off, but not removing all the rust, even after scrubbing with steel wool.

Now I'm reading that Borax has sodium borate, not sodium carbonate, and that sodium borate will work, but not to the same degree as sodium carbonate.

I guess I'm going to be looking into a benchtop supply and ordering some Super Washing Soda off Amazon.

Do benchtop power supplies have automatic shutoffs?
I don’t know much about chemistry either (didn’t someone make a song about that?) but sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) and sodium carbonate are very similar and both give off positive ions when dissolved in water, according to what I read. Would baking soda work?

SarahFair

I don’t know much about chemistry either (didn’t someone make a song about that?) but sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) and sodium carbonate are very similar and both give off positive ions when dissolved in water, according to what I read. Would baking soda work?
I've heard yes and I've heard it's weaker :huh:

Baroque Brass

A couple more thoughts on the power source...battery chargers don’t produce clean DC because it’s not needed to charge a battery. The benchtop power supply would produce clean, regulated DC. Regulation isn’t important here and clean or dirty DC might not even matter but it’s something to consider.

A car battery would produce pure DC.

SarahFair

The super washing powder came in the mail right after I pulled this guy out.
He's been in the borax solution for 3 or 4 days. I sprayed it down with the hose before bringing it inside then scrubbed it with a scotch pad and it has only made it this far, so it's a little disappointing.

I've had it hanging by the middle of the handle which is why I think the inside is being more challenging, I'm going to tip it to its side and face it towards the main anode to see if that helps.

I'm going to syphon out the tote and start over with the washing soda and see if it speeds up the process.

20230214_155720.jpg20230214_155713.jpg20230214_155703.jpg

trents99

I am able to pick up the super washing soda at my local Publix which is the only store I could find it at.

I use an older small Schumacher battery charger and it works like a champ. I see these older chargers at garage/yard/estate sales frequently. Also while I have no first hand experience I have read a newer charger can work if you use a 12v battery by hooking the charger to the battery then the battery to the tank.

Baroque Brass

I am able to pick up the super washing soda at my local Publix which is the only store I could find it at.

I use an older small Schumacher battery charger and it works like a champ. I see these older chargers at garage/yard/estate sales frequently. Also while I have no first hand experience I have read a newer charger can work if you use a 12v battery by hooking the charger to the battery then the battery to the tank.
That puts the charger and battery in parallel, which increases the current. I can see where that would help.