Varner team tournament trail!!!!!

ugabowhunter

Newcomers?

Do you all take newbies to the electric only tournaments? My Dad and I just put together a wooden canoe with a 12v trolling motor. We have a livewell, but never have caught any tournament fish to put in it. I used my daughter's goldfish for 8 hours to make sure the livewell worked and it did.

What is the entry fee for a team only fishing one tournament. Also, what are the directions to Varner? Does Varner have any spotted bass, or just largemouths? Are there any big fish in it? Are the baetis flies hatching yet? If so, what size; 18 or 20? Or are we better off using a San Juan worm. Sorry for my ignorance, I just want to make sure that Varner is a clear, clean lake with big spotted bass in it like I was told it was. I heard the Float-n Fly was deadly this time of year? I am a big fan of streamer fishing. Is the best method to use the hand-twist retrieve? Should I bring my Spey rod.

Last edited:

ChasinGame

Yes they welcome new members.To enter you will pay a $25 membership fee per a person only one time and $25 per a person to fish tournament.And yes Varner is known as a big fish lake, never caught nor heard of any spots being caught in Varner. Check out their website it might be a little more helpful.Great group of guys and very well ran club.

ugabowhunter

Thanks

Thanks for the response. I am assuming that this might not be the best lake for us since all we use is fly rods...sometimes I bring my Spey rod if there is a good streamer bite in the current.

My dad and I will be there, but please don't think we know what we are doing. I guess will donate in order to fly fish Varner.

MerkyWaters

Thanks for the response. I am assuming that this might not be the best lake for us since all we use is fly rods...sometimes I bring my Spey rod if there is a good streamer bite in the current.

My dad and I will be there, but please don't think we know what we are doing. I guess will donate in order to fly fish Varner.

::ke:What a pansy using flyrods only...I guess that is just how them south ga boys are now a days!::ke:

ugabowhunter

18-19lbs. at Varner today!

I look forward to seeing a few familiar faces this Sunday. All I care about is having fun and making memories fishing with my Dad.

I was fortunate enough to be able to fish in the cornish creek reservoir today for the second time. There was zero action on streamers, emergers, or san juan worms. The picture is about a 5.5lb. bass. I only caught 4 bass today, but all of them looked like this one. I found some big males guarding fry and threw an alabama clowser into the fry. A clowser is a really large fly...almost looks like a crawfish. My 9'6" spey really came in handy. Fast sink leader with 4lb. flouro tippet and a 7wt spey rod. Nominal hand twist. It was all about watching for the fry to jump when a large shadow passed over them.

See y'all Sunday!!!
Robby

Attachments

• Varner 3-28.jpg
    Varner 3-28.jpg
    5 KB · Views: 506

Steve78

U can really pick the newbies from the vets here!! That's funny right there!! That FnF is on fire at Varner, look at my avatar, I caught those Saturday out there on the fly.