Vent Rib Damage and Accuracy

gtb3440

I posted this on the Gunsmithing Forum but haven't received much response so I thought i'd try it here -

I have a Stoeger M3500 that I use for turkey hunting. I killed a turkey 2 weeks ago in Mississippi with it, but I noticed later that the welds on the vent rib have broken off in 3-4 spots. I target shot it 3 times yesterday (in a secure bracket) and all of the shots at 20 yards were 4-6 inches left of the bullseye. The vent rib does have a slight bow where the welds are broken but the bead seems to lines up correctly at the muzzle.
Before I convert it into a boat anchor I'm asking if anyone has had a similar issue that was corrected. I can take it to a local welder and have it re-welded if that might help or I was thinking if I put on front and rear sights like a TruGlo Magnum 3 dot sight that may solve it.
I'm guessing I had just enough pellets in the kill zone to drop that turkey.

Dupree

Had you shot it at paper to know if the POI and POA matched prior to noticing the broken weld on the vent rib?

I’d drill and tap the receiver and add optics to it and wouldn’t worry about the vent rib if it was me. Most shotguns don’t shoot true anyways.

Stevie Ray

Had you shot it at paper to know if the POI and POA matched prior to noticing the broken weld on the vent rib?

I’d drill and tap the receiver and add optics to it and wouldn’t worry about the vent rib if it was me. Most shotguns don’t shoot true anyways.

Yep.

Whenever I was reading gtb3440's post my initial thought was that if it were mine I'd add some sort of an optic (red dot for me) to the receiver and call it a day.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
The tru glo sights or similar ones work great . But they mount on the vent rib so if it’s not stable enough it may not stay sighted in . I’d probably get it rewelded and go from there

gtb3440

I shot it to paper last year before turkey season and it was on. I never got a shot last year. This year a few weeks ago prior to my trip I fired it and was slightly off. I didn't notice the broken welds tho prior to going on my trip and I wrote it off to trigger jerk shooting it free hand while shooting in the yard.

Gaswamp

do what dupree mentions recommend a burris fastfire

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
I agree with the red dot solution. Take it to this guy, he’ll tap it for a red dot mount and advise on repairing the rib. He’s done quality work for me before.

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
I agree with the red dot solution. Take it to this guy, he’ll tap it for a red dot mount and advise on repairing the rib. He’s done quality work for me before.

Palmetto is a long ways from here. Know anyone up this way? I’d like to put a red dot on mine, but don’t care for those saddle type receiver sleeve things. I’d love to have a rail on my receiver though.

ol bob

A vent rib has nothing to do with where a shot gun shoots. It came about as a trap shooting thing.

bullgator

There should be plenty of gunsmiths with shotgun experience that could solder it back in place.

Gator89

I am curious as to how the rib suffered the damage? Maybe the welds broke because the barrel is bent?

Another option could be a new barrel, depends on how you use the shotgun.

I would figure out a way to make sure the barrel was still correctly aligned and go from there.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
Palmetto is a long ways from here. Know anyone up this way? I’d like to put a red dot on mine, but don’t care for those saddle type receiver sleeve things. I’d love to have a rail on my receiver though.
The OP is from Senoia, I offered a service down his way. I used that smith on several projects when I lived in Williamson.

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
A vent rib has nothing to do with where a shot gun shoots. It came about as a trap shooting thing.
This is what I’ve always been taught. Supposedly gives the shooter a better visual on the target. I’ve always been taught not to aim a shotgun but swing and follow thru on moving targets.
I would just remove the vent rib and install a red dot.

WOODIE13

2023 TURKEY CHALLENGE 1st place Team
New barrel cost $185...

WOODIE13

2023 TURKEY CHALLENGE 1st place Team
This is what I’ve always been taught. Supposedly gives the shooter a better visual on the target. I’ve always been taught not to aim a shotgun but swing and follow thru on moving targets.
I would just remove the vent rib and install a red dot.
I point a shotgun, don't do the turkey chokes that throw golf balls at 20 yards....shooting matches yes