Vintage or good map of Chattahoochee NF

Luke0927

I'm looking to frame a large map in barn wood for my office, I would like it to be of the CNF. I have one of the big fold out new NF maps you can get for $10 or so. Anyone know of anything better or a nice old vintage one? I've heard there have been several different maps over the years for CNF any idea on where to check?

Thanks

Luke0927

Yes similar, I would like to find one that just the north GA mountains or the CNF only and maybe a lot of the old names of the mountains. I bet there could be something like this around some old shop up in the mountains.

Capt Quirk

These people usually have really nice maps, and charge accordingly. I got one several years back, just a small one, but was very happy. Try contacting them with a specific request, and see what they can turn up. ALWAYS ask, specially if you don't see what you want at first. If nothing else, they may be able to turn you on to the right person.

T-N-T

I got a map of a lake I used to live near on eBay for a few bucks once. The map is from the 70's.
Just lucked up on it.

Luke0927

Nice find I've checked Ebay too!

SarahFair

Call some antique stores up in the area youre wanting a map. They might have a dealer or be able to put you in touch with someone who specialized in them.

Think of the type of books or instances a map like this would be included, look for those online

I dont know how old of a map you are looking for, but look for tourist maps.

Find someone online who deals in antique maps. If you are wanting a TRUE antique/vintage map make sure you are dealing with someone who does not print our repops.
This shop on etsy has a few Georgia maps from the late 1800s.
None of the CNF, but Im sure if you sent them a message theyd probably be the ones who could find it for you or point you in the right direction.
Contact a few people of such instances.
https://www.etsy.com/shop/DiscoverMaps?ref=l2-shopheader-name

SarahFair

Another way to get in contact with people who might know where to find what youre looking is by looking at a Georgia Backboards magazine.
Contact the writers in there, they would be full of all kinds of information and are usually happy to help.

I know and work for one of their writers and collectors of civil war images. Hes full of all kinds of information on the subject.

Look through their back issues, find a topic that closely relates to the subject and try to contact the author.
http://georgiabackroads.com/

Luke0927

Thanks Sarah, I have not looked at GA Backroads in along time, thanks for the ideas.

carver

Check the United States Department of the Interior Geological Servey,I've got a couple of large maps of the CNF

DannyW

It is probably stating the obvious but I would first check with some of the regional NF offices. I know there used to be one in Gainesville, and another in Monticello. These maps get periodic updates so it's entirely possible that one of the offices has some "new old stock" maps gathering dust in the back storage room after being replaced with newer updates.

The trick will be to get someone willing to get their hands dirty looking for you.

Dr. Strangelove

I don't know what happened to it, lost in a move, I guess, but I used to have a map of WNC that was plastic with all the mountains and ridges formed kinda-like in a stamping die or something similar. It was a 3D map, it was really cool.

carver

I don't know what happened to it, lost in a move, I guess, but I used to have a map of WNC that was plastic with all the mountains and ridges formed kinda-like in a stamping die or something similar. It was a 3D map, it was really cool.

I've seen these at The Art's in the Park in Blue Ridge and I think you can get this type of map thru the Geological Servey too

SarahFair

I may have found you something. I'll send you a pm