Vinyl vs Wood Laminate Flooring

Geffellz18

I appreciate all of the posts in here. Very helpful. Looks like I’m going to be pricing some LVP.

May not help out for @4HAND due to distance, but check out Falcon Flooring in Norcross. My buddy that does construction turned me on to them.
This was before the recent price hikes, but they by far had the best prices around and carry the best quality products(Mohawk/Shaw, etc). That’s where we got the Heritage Chestnut flooring in my post above for nearly half of what it cost at the big box, and was commercial grade 20mil vs 8mil.
You pay the same price that the contractors do and 10% off if you order over a certain amount which should be easily met if you’re doing the entire house.

sleepr71

I yanked the carpet,pulled staples for weeks,and had the Oak floors in our old home Sanded + restained/sealed. It turned out beautiful…but scratches easily & if liquid gets spilled on it..you’d better clean it up quick,or else it will run down between the boards & swell them. I imagine that if a dog peed on them..and you didn’t notice it for a while…it would probably ruin that section of floor??‍?. If I had it to do over…I would have yanked the carpet & put down LVP,like we did in our Lake Cabin. Lowes sells an LVP with underlayment..that very closely mimics antique Pine floors. It looks great,is durable,and is easy to clean..unlike real hardwood. Either option makes the home echo & much noisier than Carpet. I kinda miss that old 70’s..Avocado Green carpet. It was soft & warm in the Winter..unlike these wood floors…just Gross,if you have kids,or pets..?

jiminbogart

TCU Go Frawgs !
If not going with site finished hardwood or tile, I like laminate.

We put Select Surfaces, the laminate from Sam's Club in 50 or so houses.

It's tough as nails(dog's nails don't hurt it).
It's made in Germany.
It's economically priced.
Goes down easy.
Has the pad already attached.
Several selections.
Available at your local Sam's.
They will load a pallet(s) into your truck with a fork lift.

Starts at $1.79 per square foot.

MudDucker

Staff member
The vinyl laminate is the better option due to waterproof and sound deadening. I've put it in several places over the last couple of years and only had problem with some cheapo that I put at the coast. Should have sealed the concrete first, because in the heat after a lot of rain, it buckled. It was the old tab sticky version and I won't do that again. The lock channel type is the best way to go.