Walk behind string trimmers

Toliver

I searched but didn't see another thread specifically about the walk behind string trimmers. First time I used one was when FIL gave us his that he no longer used. Man that thing would eat up some tough areas of undergrowth. I cleared around a grown up pond in about 1/4 of the time I thought it was going to take me with a traditional string trimmer. Unfortunately that one finally gave up the ghost and left this world. Now I don't remember the brand. I've been looking for one on line this evening. Checking reviews and availability has resulted in more confusion. Anyone have one that's fairly new that they like?

I looked at the DR brand. Many horrible reviews about breaking down too fast and no available parts. Looks like there quality may have dropped after being bought out.

Cub Cadet is virtually impossible to find and can't be ordered. At least according to Tractor Supply.

I have found several brands I've never heard of so I'm leary of those until I hear reliable people give some feedback.

I'd like to have one of those self propelled walk behind brush cutters but I ain't got that kinda money.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
I have a high wheeled string trimmer, not self propelled. It’s a Troybilt and does a good job for me. Weeds grow up behind my backyard and it just walks through them without a strain. I got about 10 years out of the previous one I had. That was living on a few acres with plenty to trim.

Toliver

Troybilt was one I looked at but I looked at so many I forgot about that one. I haven't seen any of the trimmers that were self propelled. Not even sure it's feasible considering what it'll be going through. Troybilt is on my short list so far based on past experiences with them and other products.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Too steep around here for those. We bought one of those DR brush mowers at work. Never gets used.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
Too steep around here for those. We bought one of those DR brush mowers at work. Never gets used.
When I was on an acreage I’d do everything I could with mower attachments on the tractor. High wheeled string trimmer finished where the tractor couldn’t reach. Under fences, around kennels, etc.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
When I was on an acreage I’d do everything I could with mower attachments on the tractor. High wheeled string trimmer finished where the tractor couldn’t reach. Under fences, around kennels, etc.
VentTrac articulated tractors with outrigger tires are the deal. You can mow stuff that looks like a mule's face. :)