Wanted: One time Oconee River Access between Milledgeville

61BelAir

My family and I are coming up on our 2nd annual kayak fishing/camping trip on the Oconee River.
I would love to find a launch point between the "State" boat ramp and the Avant Mine. It could be off the Toomsboro Hwy (GA 112) on the Wilkinson county side or off Stembridge RD or GA 24 on the Baldwin/Washington county side. I don't know of anywhere along that stretch that isn't private land. Hopefully there are some of you on here who own land or are on a hunting club there who can help.
All I am looking for is a place a family member can drive us close to the river, unload, paddle away and they'll drive back home.....so probably 30 minutes or less of use of their place. We wouldn't leave any trash behind. No loud music, no alcohol, tobacco, or drugs. I'm willing to pay within reason for access.
Please send me a PM if you can help.
Thanks, Jason

mark-7mag

Useless Billy Director of transpotation
I can't help you with that but I'd love to see a picture of that 61 Bel Air

61BelAir

Hey maybe a few pictures will get some attention to the thread and someone can help out. I wouldn't be surprised if some guys don't remember the car. I've had it since 1989. Used to drive it everywhere and race it in Eatonton. It's been off the road for about a decade. First picture is from almost 30 years ago. The second picture is more recent. Hopefully I'll make some more progress on it over the winter. Might not be as pretty as it used to be, but it was my first car and I can honestly say I own my dream car.

Attachments

• l_b76e3936ae45a720416c3c9ff17e0f45.jpg
    l_b76e3936ae45a720416c3c9ff17e0f45.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 347
  • Image006.jpg
    Image006.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 351

RUTTNBUCK

Gone But Not Forgotten
Why don't you just put in at the state boat ramp, and go to Avant landing............I have done this twice

First time did it in one day as a reconnisance trip second time did it in two days camping on a sandbar halfway down

Both trips were easy. The single day trip was a solid 8 hour trip with light paddling in a kayak

Be prepared to portage over a sandbar if a tree has fallen across the river.... We were lucky and there was a narrow passage that we were able to float through!!:bounce:

61BelAir

Why don't you just put in at the state boat ramp, and go to Avant landing............I have done this twice

First time did it in one day as a reconnisance trip second time did it in two days camping on a sandbar halfway down

Both trips were easy. The single day trip was a solid 8 hour trip with light paddling in a kayak

Be prepared to portage over a sandbar if a tree has fallen across the river.... We were lucky and there was a narrow passage that we were able to float through!!:bounce:

If we had 2 extra days we would do that, but we only have an extra half day available. We do a lot more fishing (and just playing around) than paddling so we usually go 1 mph or less.

Maybe instead of starting from a point farther up, we'll just exit farther down.

abrannon

Well you could put in at Balls Ferry and take out at Beaver CensoredCensoredCensoredCensored. Or put in at Blackshear Ferry in Dublin and take out at Buckeye in East Dublin.

61BelAir

I've done the Blackshear Ferry to Buckeye Ramp before. It's a nice day trip.

I've given up on putting in above Avant Mine. We were wanting to put in about half way between Milledgeville and there and take out at Balls Ferry, but we'll just go farther down instead.

We have never been on the river between the State Boat Ramp and Avant Mine. We'd love to do that stretch if we had the time.
I know plenty of people paddle it in a day. We don't want to just rush through it like that. We want to take our sweet time and do plenty of fishing & exploring.

Right now we're just hoping the river doesn't come up too high and the rain moves on through before our trip. We've been waiting all year for this trip and now I feel kinda guilty about wishing for good weather for it while Texas and Louisiana are getting hammered.