Warmouth??

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
Yes but the green sunfish hybrid folks will be here soon.

ilbcnu

Thinking of putting them on the wall. Not likely to catch them any bigger.

little rascal

Wait a minute, i might be wrong? Went back and looked, If it’s got blue lines down the mouth or cheeks its a sunfish! Waiting on the experts.

across the river

Wait a minute, i might be wrong? Went back and looked, If it’s got blue lines down the mouth or cheeks its a sunfish! Waiting on the experts.

Those are not blue. It is just the sun and camera angle. Warmouth can have some irradescense like that in the right light, but it isn't blue. On a warmouth, the lines radiate from the eye, which is typically red. Any light spots in the body, usually line up vertically to some degree but aren't defined. Somewhat similar to what you would see on a white crappie, just light stripes on a dark body instead of dark stripes on a light body.

A green sunfish has horizontal blue lines on the check, but they don't radiate from the eye and are thinner. Any blue flakes in the body typically line up more horizontally, and the lines are usually more defined and thinner, though you can get a little of the dark /light vertical lines as well. They don't have red eyes, and if they have a boarder around the fins it is an oranges or yellow color. There can be a ton of variation in the colors of a green sunfish, but once you look at a few, it isn't that hard to tell the difference.

I'm the one most of the time who brings up the green sunfish deal when it is a green sunfish, but that ain't a green sunfish. Good examples of each below if you are interested.

https://www2.illinois.gov/dnr/education/Pages/WAFWarmouth.aspx

https://www.marylandbiodiversity.com/viewSpecies.php?species=270

If it's over 11" it qualifies for an angler award. You need pictures of you with the fish and the fish on a measuring board, tape measure or on a scale.

GTMODawg

BANNED
If warmouth grew to 30 pounds there wouldn't be anything left alive in their range LOL....they will hit baits 3 times their own size and are as aggressive as anything I know of....loads of fun to catch.....thats a nice un....

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
I like em in the grease.

Attachments

• warmouth.jpg
    warmouth.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 20