Weekly catch thread 12/6

sportsman94

Idk if these things should start on Sundays, Mondays, or what. Here goes a new one though. Hopefully some predator catchers will chime in since I’m driving the struggle bus. Had to remake a few sets again this am. Looked like a coyote did something in one. One medium length hair in the jaws at the remake from the other coyote. Another trap pulled to the end of the chain (probably a deer). Put a new set in where I found some tracks the other day. I’ve had 6 checks with 12-20 predator sets out and have only caught one coyote. Running mostly dirtholes, but I started adding some flat sets recently. Most everything was originally set on sign, but doesn’t look like anything has come back through in several spots. Anyways, rambling over. Got saved from being skunked by another beaver. Guessing this is the big female since the bigger of the two from last week was a male

BF191044-90A8-4BFD-BC9E-6395025FED3A.jpeg

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
Nice catches folks

sportsman94

No pictures so it probably didn’t happen, but I ended up with a possum in a cat set, a magnum coon in a 220, a coyote, and a beaver this morning. I learned this morning what my least favorite smell in all of trapping is….

Possum poop. Possum poop is the most vile, unfading smell I’ve ever encountered. I seriously considered putting some other type of Lure on my hands just to provide some cover scent. The problem was that this possum got in a cat set with two 3dls. He had one on each back leg. He was tied up tight and just deposited his sinister slime right on the top, bottom, and sides of both traps. I couldn’t just step on them to get them off/reset and there was too much grass twisted in to use dirt to get it off first. In hindsight, I should have just offered those traps to the trapping gods and given up on that area. Oh well, the deed is done. Maybe I’ll get a cat out of the ordeal

Doug B.

No pictures so it probably didn’t happen, but I ended up with a possum in a cat set, a magnum coon in a 220, a coyote, and a beaver this morning. I learned this morning what my least favorite smell in all of trapping is….

Possum poop. Possum poop is the most vile, unfading smell I’ve ever encountered. I seriously considered putting some other type of Lure on my hands just to provide some cover scent. The problem was that this possum got in a cat set with two 3dls. He had one on each back leg. He was tied up tight and just deposited his sinister slime right on the top, bottom, and sides of both traps. I couldn’t just step on them to get them off/reset and there was too much grass twisted in to use dirt to get it off first. In hindsight, I should have just offered those traps to the trapping gods and given up on that area. Oh well, the deed is done. Maybe I’ll get a cat out of the ordeal
Sounds like you had a good night with some nice catches!

You might want to go to Harbor Freight and get a box of nitrile gloves! Keep that stank off your hands!!!! Now everytime you eat something you will smell that on your hands (although you probably wouldn't have if I had not said that)!!facepalm:

sportsman94

I’ve got a box at home. Just never use them other than butchering game. Lesson learned now! When I tell you I flew down those bumpy roads to make it to a creek you better believe it

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
I got me a possum poop duff pile remake cookin' as we speak...Never really noticed before, let's just say I didn't add nothin back to the pile.

Plenty dang RANK!! :bounce:

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
I’m really enjoying y’all’s updates. Get my stitches out next Wednesday so I’ll start by setting around the house then spots I can walk a short distance to set. I’m looking forward to it.

sportsman94

Here’s the closest thing I got to a picture from this am. One coyote today. Farmer plowed under two traps in a field they were supposed to be done working in. This set had 0 action since set on 12/1. There was one set of tracks coming through that day and nothing since that I’ve seen

F692E983-B688-415E-A127-3DD5E313EC7F.png

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
I rode an empty line today...

Had one picked at a little bit, took all of five seconds to fix it with the whisk broom.

That is all.

furtaker

Here’s the closest thing I got to a picture from this am. One coyote today. Farmer plowed under two traps in a field they were supposed to be done working in. This set had 0 action since set on 12/1. There was one set of tracks coming through that day and nothing since that I’ve seen

View attachment 1195223
Lovely. I'm always worried about that happening. I don't think I've ever had any plowed under or run over yet but I've been very close before.

Congrats on the coyote.

sportsman94

Another beaver kept me from getting skunked today. That’s #5 from the little castor mounds that could. That may be about it for these, but I’ll keep them out a couple more days. Inspected a trap I’ve been checking from distance and it was set off with a little catch circle. A pullout of some sort. I could see a coyote track, but it could have come after.