What are your thoughts...... crappie guides, You Tube, Live scope.

Overfishing will never affect the crappie population on the Hill. Even with huge catches...There is a massive amount of crappie in that lake and it's a HUGE lake. People have been catching coolers full of crappie every weekend off that lake for years.

Seen myself do it.

BeerThirty

There is a fishing guide in Texas on Lake OH Ivie who's boated nearly 60 largemouth over 10 pounds (several 12-14) just this year. He is booked for the rest of the year and charging $2,000 for a day trip. If it weren't for active sonar/live image, he would not have a business. His name is Josh Jones.

When he's not bass fishing, he's using live image to rake in 3 lb+ crappie all day long.

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
If someone can make money off of fishing, they will. No problems with me it just not something I want to do. I will say that at some point that live scope will become more sophisticated and the technology will become a danger to fish populations as the general fishing public becomes increasingly familiar with live scoping.

JROESEL

I will say, that I do have livescope and will continue to use it, I say everyone needs to use it at least once, it will open your eyes about sonar, the way I interpreted my traditional sonar, is totally different then the way I see it now, so it’s a tool to make you a more efficient fisherman, so if you only get one day a week to fish, it totally makes sense to me, it’s a tool, so let’s think out of the box, say your building a fence, are you going to dig those 100 post holes, with post hole diggers and a rock bar?? Or are you going to get a post driver or an auger?? As long as I can afford it and it’s offered to make me a better more efficient fisherman, I’ll have it, now just because you can see the fish, watch your lure drop on there nose, it DOESN’T make them bite it, it will drive you crazy if you let it

panfishvinnie

I really don't know a lot about livescope, but fished with a buddy who has it on his boat. It's true just because you can see them, it doesn't mean they're going to bite. It seemed like I was so focused on watching the screen, that it took away from the enjoyment of being out there and seeing what is going on around me while on the water. By the end of the day I had a stiff neck from watching that screen so much. It was pretty neat to see the fish, but I believe I'm going to stick with my old Lorance flasher which is all I have on my boat.

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
I’m planning on upgrading at some point to a sideview type, just haven’t pulled the trigger yet. I can see the pros and cons of that livescan but quite frankly, if it were in my budget I’d have it too…….and on a much nicer boat than I have. I don’t really care what others do so long as it’s legal.

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
As far as the YouTube stuff, I like the easy access to DIY info and the ability to share videos. I’ve had a channel for 15+ years but just lately started adding a few more videos. It’s just fun for me and if you do it to try and make a living, knock yourself out!
Same with a guide service. It’s no walk in the park and if you can make a go at it, do it! Apparently there shouldn’t be too much of an impact on the crappie numbers. I watched a guy just yesterday on TV, using the livescope and a rod that was about 16’ long, pulling up slab after slab in some cypress trees at a lake he’s never been to. I do wonder how many he’d catch without the livescope………I’d bet a bunch, but nothing like he does with it.

Dutch

AMERICAN WARRIOR
They’re thieves and poachers not fishermen.
I agree.
But people still ignore the limit. The only places I have been checked for a limit is Sinclair and Eufaula.

Richf7

I agree.
But people still ignore the limit. The only places I have been checked for a limit is Sinclair and Eufaula.
It’s a shame the DNR doesn’t have the funding and manpower.

ryanh487

It’s a shame the DNR doesn’t have the funding and manpower.
It would come from license fees. You wanna pay triple so there's a tiny chance the extra ranger or two happens upon them? Call the TIP line if you see something, it's the only way most of these folks have a chance at getting caught.

brunofishing

Aneyone read this months article in GON about 10-20 years ago, they were catching the same numbers a long time ago, just a little bit to easy to brag nowdays with the interweb!