What can you tell me about this Model 700 22-250..?

sleepr71

EE520635-E62D-4154-A184-B06C2B70497A.jpegF14C7339-88A4-4BEF-9C13-727D078CAF1E.jpegA3CF2851-B09C-40E1-B3BD-42E5260BD868.jpegDC6D8B93-05DE-4BC2-BEAF-9D11A2C8A345.jpeg7EC800D2-60E9-4991-B3C3-CEBBBA088F10.jpeg
Stopped in a local pawn shop & spied this,along with a Model 600 Mohawk (.222)?? in the gun rack. No way! Always wanted a Stainless,Model 700 22-250…so I looked it over…played uninterested & put it back. Looked at some tools,pistols..then asked to look at it one more time.I told the owner that these were “very hard to find Ammo for & not really good for NUthin but shootin crows & such.””It’ll Probably sit there for 6 months before anybody else touches it”…”maybe my son could use it..” yada yada?!Anyway,it’s pretty darned clean,other than a few small nicks on the stock. We struck a deal & it followed me home? I left the 600 Mohawk there because the stock had been sanded & refinished..and removed most of the checkering? That & they wanted $900 for it! Nope! Anyhoo…can you fine folks help figure out what year it was made & any other (visible) details.? FWIW..the stock appears original & the barrel length is 22” by my measurement.

Last edited:

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
A little digging shows that it might be a VS SF (varmint special, stainless fluted) from around 2008...

The Senderos were from the mid 90s, but most of those were long actions...I think there were a few shorts, but not many, iirc.

In any case, heckuva nice rifle.

sleepr71

I tried looking at online tables..and didn’t really come up with a clear answer. I came up with a 2003 manufacture year..(?) I think it’s a VSSF…not a Sendero. The 22” barrel doesn’t jive with ANY other VSSF’s I have found though. They all had 26” barrels…

DOUG 281

I got mine in 1990 it's been a good one they had a recall on them sometime in the 90's because of the bolt mine has worked fine

sleepr71

i think the recall was because it would fire when you closed the bolt or something like that

Nice. According to that Brownell‘s link/article… You can do the job at home yourself. Without taking it to a gunsmith…although taking the bolt apart & cleaning it good may not be a bad idea ?

Last edited:

bullgator

That’s a 20” LVSF. Light Varmint Stainless Fluted. I have a 7-08 in that.

Jester896

Senior Clown
That kinda looks like a B&C stock to me. If XX is the only thing stamped in the barrel wouldn't that be 2003 and that fits with the J lock.

You would need to replace the shroud and firing pin to get rid of the J lock I think...not hard to do...if you want to replace it and aren't comfortable you can send it to me and I will be happy to do it or if you swing by with it I'll be happy to help you do it.

My Buddy picked up a newer one with the SPS stock and we got him a older style HS Precision Sendero (small palm swell) and worked up a load for it.

Zero.jpg

this is a 200 yard 5 shot group from it

sleepr71

Very nice group^^^. 2003 is what I came up with also. I think I will order that Brownells kit,with the upgraded firing pin..may even do a drop in trigger..while I have it apart..? Have to do some research on those. Any suggestions? Might as well start looking into scopes & Ammo too! Down the Rabbit hole we go..??

Jester896

Senior Clown
Which kit from Brownells? The Gre-Tan complete assembly?
Tubb is another good choice
http://www.davidtubb.com/speedlock-assembly-700-short

Do you like a wide trigger shoe...like on the older rifles with the Walker trigger...Rifle Basix

The Trigger Tech is pretty good stuff...I have switched a couple of mine over to them...Midsouth has free shipping on them right now. They are also adjustable without taking the action out of the stock.

bullgator

4463EC96-CD4D-415D-9AA6-CD6FC2460E58.jpeg319FD62F-785E-44D0-A075-A972E61145B2.jpegHere’s a couple of pics of one for sale on Gunsamerica.