What grain Broadhead?

JSWOOD

New crossbow user here looking for recommendations on 100 vs 125 grain broadheads on a 442 grain bolt out of my Centerpoint Tormentor 380. Is there a tremendous difference in FPS loss with 125 vs 100? Want a hard hitting combo for 40 yards and under.

Deernut3

125 gr. might make your bolt tip heavy causing it to porpoise. A decent archery shop should be able to recommend which weight balances your bolt resulting in straight flight. With arrows the balance point is 60 to 70 percent forward of center, I'm not sure where crossbow bolts balance.

shdw633

I hunt with 100 grain muzzy trocar on a 20" Barnett Headhunter bolt and have had real nice results in both my Barnett Raptor 345 and Bruin Ambush 375. I am going to be trying them in my new Bruin Ambush 410 in the next week or so to see how they do.

Hunter922

Shoot Both weights out of it to see how it shoots. Just use an old 100 and 125 for testing .. I shoot a 100Gr without any issues.

MikeyD6

Deleted
I use 125 grain field points to practice with, and 100 grain broadheads. The difference is pretty much negligible. I figure the added wind resistance of a broadhead evens out the difference in weight. And I get complete pass thru when it hits a deer so it hits plenty hard.

BluewaterFever

Also new crossbow hunter here shooting a Wicked Ridge Invader X4. I have dialed my xbow in at 20, 30 and 40yds with 100 gr NAP Spitfires. Hopefully i will get an opportunity this weekend to hunt with it if the wind cooperates.

sghoghunter

I have some Trocar"s on the way to try also. Do they shoot like a field tip? tried findig some practice tips but didn't find any

Jim Boyd

Also new crossbow hunter here shooting a Wicked Ridge Invader X4. I have dialed my xbow in at 20, 30 and 40yds with 100 gr NAP Spitfires. Hopefully i will get an opportunity this weekend to hunt with it if the wind cooperates.

Good luck Karl!

Not sure if I am gonna make it down or not...

Had some decent bucks on cam last week including a couple of 4-6 qty bachelor groups.

Jim Boyd

I shoot 100 grain Rage from a Parker Hurricane at 380 + FPS and they group well.

Generally get full pass through even on 240 lbs + deer when I place the arrow properly.

Find what your bow likes and practice with the EXACT same set up you hunt with is my advice (including the Lumenock, if you are gonna use one)

Hope you get 100% dialed in!