What happened to appliances?

Raylander

I’m Billy’s Useles Uncle.
I don’t deal in appliances but I see a lot of them as it is related to my work.

Samsung and LG make terrible refrigerators. Everyone one of them has the same problems. The slides on the freezer drawer are trash and the ice maker malfunctions

GE, Maytag, etc. I don’t see many of those brands

Bosch/Thermador and Kitchenaid are the best bang for your buck. But, they arent cheap

Then there are the Sub-Zero, Wolf, Cove type folks. Last invoice (range, ref, micro, warming drawer, and DW) that I saw was like $50k. Those folks also had a built in coffee maker, but you get the idea

B. White

I just replaced a GE dishwasher that was here when we moved in. It was very old. Went a few months without one, since I didn't like the prices or reviews for most models I would buy. I ain't paying $1K for a dishwasher. Lowes finally had a sale on Maytag and I ordered one and put it in a few weeks ago. Hope I don't have to use the 10yr warranty. I don't think brand matters much anymore. About like TVs. Most of the parts probably come from the same place in China.

There are a lot of mixed reviews for all appliance brands. I think it is a gamble on whether you get a good one or not. LG gets bad reviews, but I've got three of their appliances bought over the years with no failures yet.

Washers and dryers are disposable to me. There are some folks who must have a matched set, so when one dies they sell the other cheap and go buy a new set. I've bought several of these over the years cheaper than you can buy parts to fix a broke one.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
My Wife has a Samsung clothes washer the has had six sets of bearings and seals in three years...it is almost a complete tear down to put them in...

I may buy another piece of junk...but it won't have Samsung on the name plate..

Speed Queen for the win. ;)

Big Foot

Buddy was high level Whirlpool - he sold me Kitchendaid at his cost - all em broke and keep breaking - they cut his $$$$ job like most managment, their product is lacking for sure = less profit = job cuts

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
For what it's worth, Consumer Reports likes the Speed Queen for reliability in top load agitator washers.

View attachment 1305072

Erryboty in the bidness said the same thing so that's what we bought.

Speed Queen makes commercial washers and dryers. The only difference between those and their residential models is one extra setting on the residential ones.

ccherry

Speed Queen makes commercial washers and dryers. The only difference between those and their residential models is one extra setting on the residential ones.
I wish they made other appliances also

The Original Rooster

Mayor of Spring Hill

The only issue I have with them is that they're smaller than the other large capacity top loaders. Aside from that, I'd like to have one when our old Whirlpool dies a death that can't be repaired. It's a 90 something model and still going strong after a few repairs over the years.