What has happened to the Robin population?

SemperFiDawg

Political Forum Arbiter of Truth (And Lies Too)
It's been a coon's age since I saw one. As a boy growing up they used to be flocks of them light in our front yard. I'd take a shotgun and kill several with one shot and we would eat them. They were fine eating. Can't remember the last time I saw one.

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
I’ve got two big cedars in the back yard that generally have robins in them or underneath them eating the berries. When it’s warmer they feed heavily on worms in backyard. I put no pesticides on the ground except for treating fire ant mounds

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
I think their main diet is worms.
I guess most people know they can feel the movements of the worms in the ground through their feet.
Maybe the lawn industry is cutting down on the worm supply...?
Late winter seemed to be the time when they were thickest though.
Maybe it's not quite time yet.
I haven't really noticed a drastic shortage...

ryanh487

Still get plenty around here. If it weren't for them and starlings my boat would stay far cleaner all winter

Stroker

Had a big flock of them in my backyard yesterday. Killed many with my Red Ryder when I was young, my Granny would fry them up for me.

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
Cold weather pushed them back to where the ground isn’t frozen.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Big flocks of hundreds of robins mixed with cedar waxwings at work last week cleaning off the holly berries. They don't usually show up here at home until about mid-February, but they are still very common in the spring and all summer. Usually have a couple pairs nesting in the yard.

WOODIE13

2023 TURKEY CHALLENGE 1st place Team
With storm systems pushing in from the SW primarily keeps them spread out North to South, no reason to migrate if they don't have to.

We still have them up here, even during the snow last week.

SemperFiDawg

Political Forum Arbiter of Truth (And Lies Too)
After reading the replies I’m relieved to know they haven’t experienced a population decline

Timberbeast

I’ll jump in. I traditionally seem to start seeing them after thanksgiving in the deer season. Leaves falling and cooler air normally brings them. I can’t say I’ve noticed a major decline but that would not surprise if they are.