What herbicide should I use?

Ugahunter2013

What would be a good herbicide on this? I bush hogged our roads to make them a little wider. You can see some of the stuff sprouting back, some of which is sweet gums, etc. Would “round up” work? Or would I need something stronger? Picture is a few weeks old so the undergrowth is higher now.

IMG_5789.jpeg

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Depends on if you want to kill everything or not. A strong solution of Roundup will work, but will kill grass and all. I'd use Crossbow or Garlon. Just be careful spraying them if it's really hot, you can get some off-target damage.

Ugahunter2013

Depends on if you want to kill everything or not. A strong solution of Roundup will work, but will kill grass and all. I'd use Crossbow or Garlon. Just be careful spraying them if it's really hot, you can get some off-target damage.

Is "triclopyr" the active ingredient in Garlon? I am not very familiar with herbicides outside of "Roundup". I am pretty sure I have some "triclopyr" at the house. Do you have a recommendation of how many ounces per gallon?

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Is "triclopyr" the active ingredient in Garlon? I am not very familiar with herbicides outside of "Roundup". I am pretty sure I have some "triclopyr" at the house. Do you have a recommendation of how many ounces per gallon?
Yep. Triclopyr is the main ingredient in Garlon. Crossbow has triclopyr and 2,4-D both. Ounces per gallon depends on which formulation and what you're trying to kill.

Danny Leigh

GONetwork Member
A 3-5% (4-6 oz/gal) solution of Crossbow or Garlon is usually enough of a foliar solution to kill broadleaf plants/trees.

Like NCHillbilly said just don't use products with Triclopyr when temps are expected to get above 80 for the day. Triclopyr can volatize and damage non-target plants in the area. I found that out the hard way several years ago after seeing muscadine leaves turning yellow on vines 80 yards away from where I had sprayed Triclopyr on wisteria.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
The Triclopyr4 will work fine.