What is it?

buckpasser

My kids are catching these in a little creek branch by my house in their crawfish trap. They are about 3” to 4” long. They look mostly like a baby bass, but have a round tail and no top sharp dorsal fin. They are larger than an adult mosquito fish. I don’t know if they are juvenile fish or adults. Thanks!

This isn’t a great pic, but I’ll try to get some better ones if possible.

231AE434-2B41-4427-9B1B-F2E6AD6E63C9.jpeg

buckpasser

4A366A81-7708-4A5E-B5C1-B71AF288B6F4.jpeg

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
They look like pirate perch to me.

buckpasser

They look like pirate perch to me.

Dude! I knew your skills in plant ID were unmatched, but I didn’t know you had it in you for a small fish! Thank you!

I’m 40. I’ve waded, netted and fished around here since I could walk and never knew about pirate perch!

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Dude! I knew your skills in plant ID were unmatched, but I didn’t know you had it in you for a small fish! Thank you!

I’m 40. I’ve waded, netted and fished around here since I could walk and never knew about pirate perch!
I catch them in minner traps in my little creek in SC sometimes. I was curious, so I looked them up. I'm always curious and wanting to learn about about all living critters in my environment.

oldfella1962

I googled this oddball of a fish. It is the only living member left of a family of fish that used to be widespread. How cool is that? :)