What is something you have NEVER eaten?

BeerThirty

anyone ever eat pickled pork hocks or turkey gizzards? I have. Up in Wisco, they have them at the bars in big 1-gal jars, you buy them by the each. They wash down nicely with a cold brew.

georgia_home

I know you boys are gonna just bust stones here... but... even my upstate SC wife hasnt been able to convince me to touch...

GRITS!

those plate pictures some folks post, especially on moonpies breakfast thread, they look good, or great!

right up until THE GRITS!

you mods! Stay away from the BAN button!

White Horse

I have eaten most all of the stuff listed on here at one time or another, except dog or cat. Lots of native people ate dog, but i don't know if I could do it.

You know the little sea bird called a puffin? Also known as a sea parrot? I have eaten them, and they weren't bad. The only thing was that the ones I had were a little raw, but if cooked better they would not be bad. (I was real hungry. Makes a difference.)

If you get a chance to eat buffalo, American bison, do it. The meat is some of the best around. Elk and moose are also fine.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I have never eaten lobster, goat, possum, beaver, raccoon, antelope, grouse, bison, pheasant, mountain oysters, marlin, swordfish, and many other species.

Not to say I would not eat many of the above, just never had the opportunity.
Of those that I've tried: lobster, antelope, bison, grouse, and pheasant are delicious. Coon, goat, and swordfish are ok. I would have to be about starving to eat a possum or mountain oysters. Grouse is the one thing that actually does taste just like chicken. About identical, actually.

blood on the ground

Cross threading is better than two lock washers.
I know you boys are gonna just bust stones here... but... even my upstate SC wife hasnt been able to convince me to touch...

GRITS!

those plate pictures some folks post, especially on moonpies breakfast thread, they look good, or great!

It's just ground corn, go on, give it a try!

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member

GRITS!

Grits can be delicious, or they can be tasteless, or they can be horrible, depending on what kind they are and how they're cooked.

gobbleinwoods

Keeper of the Magic Word
escargot

fireman32

"Useless Billy" Fire Chief.

GRITS!

Cook them thin, add a over easy egg to the middle of them. Or cheese. Or shrimp. Don’t be scared to salt, pepper and butter them either.

Jim Baker

Staff member
Chitlins. I would try a fried one, but never ever a boiled one. I can smell my granny's kitchen when she cooked them now ?

Had a friend always talked about his Mamma's Chitlins and Collared greens. He told his favorite memory was when he was discharged from the Army and getting off the bus at the end of a dirt road up to his homeplace. About a mile walk. He said the closer he got to the house the more fragrant the aroma was on a gentle breeze. Finally he made to the back porch and the screen door to the kitchen. There he said the screen door the aroma was of them chitlins and collared greens was over powering. He reached for the handle on the screen door. But it was covered in flies he said. I blurted out, they were trying to get in.

Nope he said, they knocked me down trying to get out when I opened the door.

That said, never ate any animal with paws or that nayed or brayed.
No birds of prey. No cold blooded land animals other than gator tail and frog legs. That would be lizards. But I have eaten gizzards.

mrs. hornet22

Beach Dreamer
Try it. I bet you'd like it. First time I ate it H22 ordered it as an appitizer. I was hooked. I remember my Mama cooking them for my Diddy and thought it was gross. Nope. It's GOOD stuff.

jiminbogart

TCU Go Frawgs !

GRITS!

Go to Striplings and getcha a grits bowl with sausage, egg and cheese in it.
Chase it with a bonus track(shoutout to NCH) smoked pork chop biscuit.
Wash it down with a pint of whole chocolate milk and a cup of coffee.

bassboy1

Yeah that's not what I would think it would be. Interesting, even more reason to try it.

I'm pretty sure that statement was in jest, and there are two different jokes it could have been. One is in reference to the Catholic church allowing beaver meat to be eaten during lent (it spends a lot of time in water, therefore it must be a fish). The other possibility is not suitable for this forum.

I've personally never had the opportunity to try it (would love to, though), but I've always heard it likened to grass fed beef.

Crow, Coon, Armadillo just to name a few.

Shug

Lutefisk....and ain't gonna

Wifeshusband

I'll bet you a dollar to a dime the foregoing list would be whittled down somewhat during the next depression.

NC Hillbilly, my mother and her family ate possum during the depression. She said what they would do, is put it in a cage for a couple of weeks and feed it kitchen scraps, believing that would take some of the gamey taste out of it. Who knows what all they ate during the depression.
Strange, out of all the wild game banquets I've been to over the years, there was never any possum on the buffet. I would have tried it. I found the rattlesnake and alligator to my liking and Emu and some other birds unsavory.