Common stuff(food or products) you never ate growing up.

35 Whelen

The only time we got boxed cereal was when we were camping. Mama made oatmeal with raisins she had soaked the night before or cream of wheat or grits. She wanted something that "stuck to our ribs" before sending us to school.

My brother and I were allowed 1 box of our choice boxed cereal when mom went shopping, usually only once every 2 or 3 weeks (whatever was loaded with sugar was our favorite, like Captain Crunch). After that it was shredded wheat, corn flakes, or some other cereal without any sugar. However, all winter long (Cleveland, Ohio and NW Pennsylvania) it was only "stick to your ribs" oatmeal, cream of wheat, or cream of rice. Never had grits, but my grandmother made what she called "sawdust pudding," basically grits but made with yellow corn meal.

Nicodemus

Old and Ornery
Staff member
Lamb. It wasn`t eaten in my family, and about 15 years ago when I tried my first lamb chop, I now know why. Ya`ll can have it.

I don`t reckon I ate my first pizza till I was probably 18 or 19 years old. I did eat a lot of peas, butterbeans, and greens growing up. Had to shell and clean too.

jiminbogart

TCU Go Frawgs !
I never had a real steak until I was 17 and got my first apartment.

My best friend and room mate was a cook at Steak and Ale on Memorial Drive in Stone Mountain. He could throw down on the grill.

I haven't eaten lobster to this day. If I ever catch one I'll eat it. Just haven't caught one yet.

I had crawdads for the first time at the firehouse when I was 30ish. A lot of work for a little bit of meat.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
We didn't eat out at a restaurant when I was growing up. Ever. It just wasn't done. My grandpa took us out to Kentucky Fried Chicken a time or two, but that was it in my whole childhood.

I never had pizza, shrimp or other seafood, tacos or any other Mexican food, no Asian food or any other international food except spaghetti. Never had a normal steak. Never had a fish fillet until I was a teenager and learned to fillet them. We ate mostly pork from our own hogs, yard chicken, occasional beef that we raised, always boiled or stewed except for fried cubed steak and fried hamburger. I never had grilled food at all growing up. I never drank store-bought milk until I started school. Probably didn't have store-bought butter until I was a pretty big kid. Or a store-bought tater or vegetable. Lots of other stuff I'm probably not thinking of at the moment. We did eat a lot of stuff like bear, coon, squirrel, rabbit, and groundhog. Not much deer. I still have never eaten hamburger helper or mac and cheese at 53 years old, and don't care to.

Hunter922

My mother, God rest her soul was a great cook. BUT. She use to make salmon patties, biscuits and gravy when I was young for supper. Those salmon patties were just awful. I still won't eat salmon of any kind...
Now the B&G was the bomb..

mrs. hornet22

Beach Dreamer
I ate a lot of peas, butterbeans, and corn on the cob growing up. Had to shell and clean too( I still hate those corn worms:sick:). Diddy took the whole family to catch fish every Saturday for supper and Mama would take the girls to the big Pecan tree while the men/boys were fishing to pick up pecans so we could crack em and clean em and sale em to the "rich folk".Those were the good days.

cramer

I never had cornbread until 1st grade and yuk , the only school food I wouldn't eat.
My parents were from New York .
We ate nothing fried. Apparently, neither of my grandmothers fried food.
I won't eat stuffed cabbage. There was lots of that.
My wife makes cornbread that I can't resist.
Never ate grits until I spent the night at a friend's house as a teenager .
I'm not drawn to grits. Reminds me of cream of wheat, which reminds me of oatmeal that I ate my share of as a child . I don't eat either those now.
I did pick up a yankee habit of ketchup on scrambled eggs from my Dad.

Para Bellum

Mouth For War
Lamb. It wasn`t eaten in my family, and about 15 years ago when I tried my first lamb chop, I now know why. Ya`ll can have it.

I don`t reckon I ate my first pizza till I was probably 18 or 19 years old. I did eat a lot of peas, butterbeans, and greens growing up. Had to shell and clean too.

What didn’t you like about the lamb Nic?

Para Bellum

Mouth For War
Growin up we ate steak, mushrooms, salad, baked potatoes, salmon patties, cubed steak, milk potatoes, mashed potatoes, spaghetti and home made sauce, fried chicken, grits, eggs, sausage, bacon, Lima beans, pinto beans, burgers. My Mama is still a dang good cook. But the best cook was Grandma. She’s 99 now and can’t do it anymore but her fried chicken would make Colonel Sanders commit suicide. I’ll never forget being in college and calling her to ask how to fry chicken like hers. She said, “Start with Crisco up to your second knuckle.” I knew then I had bitten off more than I could chew. Bless that woman.

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
I can’t remember as growing up ever drinking a beer or a store bought bottle of liquor! Started when I was teething. My mom would rub my gums with her homemade moonshine. Get gas on stomach. Well get a shot of the charred barrel stuff. She made it from potatoes ? to. Gather up rabbit tobacco and make tea. Sassafras roots!
I shot the rabbits trying to eat in the pea garden. Made our our preserves.
Buctherd hogs in the winter. Scrape them. Had a smoke house and cured some hams with salt. we was allowed a 6 1/2 oz coke with peanuts. Payday candy bar or a baby Ruth
We hand cranked icecream with ice and rock salt. So. many memories!
Bream fishing. Dig up the worms. fast food was a deer?

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
Didn't have messican food until 18 or so and now it's a couple times a week.

Didn't have whiskey until about 12 (a few sips ??) either.

Seriously can't think of anything that I didn't eat when young that I eat now or at least anything that was readily available back then.

Para Bellum

Mouth For War
I can’t remember as growing up ever drinking a beer or a store bought bottle of liquor! Started when I was teething. My mom would rub my gums with her homemade moonshine. Get gas on stomach. Well get a shot of the charred barrel stuff. She made it from potatoes ? to. Gather up rabbit tobacco and make tea. Sassafras roots!
I shot the rabbits trying to eat in the pea garden. Made our our preserves.
Buctherd hogs in the winter. Scrape them. Had a smoke house and cured some hams with salt. we was allowed a 6 1/2 oz coke with peanuts. Payday candy bar or a baby Ruth
We hand cranked icecream with ice and rock salt. So. many memories!
Bream fishing. Dig up the worms. fast food was a deer?

I remember Mamas special cough syrup too brother. With a lil brown sugar just cuz.

jiminbogart

TCU Go Frawgs !
I've never eaten a salmon patty.

I tasted grilled salmon once(I was probably around 40 years old) and it sucked.

No salmon for me.

Guys at the firehouse would fry salmon patties for breakfast and just the smell would gag me.

Never had a red hot until I was in my late 30's and the guy that cooked breakfast every shift had them in the meat rotation.

Dr. Strangelove

We never ate out when I was a kid unless on vacation or a birthday. I grew up outside of Hendersonville, NC and while we ate at home because that's the way our family was, it was also because there just weren't nearly as many restaurants as there are today and people ate at home rather than eating out or getting take-out every meal.

Cokes - we never had carbonated soft drinks around the house until I was in high school. That was a treat at the grandparent's house. We had plenty of full-sugar Kool-Aid and sweet tea, but no soft drinks until later years.

Pizza - mom made english muffin pizzas at home but eating a pizza out was reserved for birthdays. No place delivered back then where we lived anyway.

Fast food - mom made sandwiches at home and we would stop at rest areas to picnic when traveling. Usually we would eat at a restaurant one night while on vacation.

Sushi - I was a grown adult before I tried sushi, it just wasn't around before then. (I'm 47, btw)