Anyone Like Boiled Fatback?

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
I still think a chunk of fatback is the best seasoning ever for a fresh mess of field peas.

I agree. And if I`m the first one dipping out peas it goes on the plate with em!

fireman32

"Useless Billy" Fire Chief.
Thinking back on my younger years and my Grandmas weekly Wednesday trips to Harvey’s. She would buy a package of fat back and have the butcher slice and cube it for her every week. She used it for fresh peas along with bacon drippings. Was some fine eating.
My other grandma regularly fried strick o lean any chance she got. That side of the family loved a salt cured ham too. Sure do miss those great country cooks.

Redbow

Thinking back on my younger years and my Grandmas weekly Wednesday trips to Harvey’s. She would buy a package of fat back and have the butcher slice and cube it for her every week. She used it for fresh peas along with bacon drippings. Was some fine eating.
My other grandma regularly fried strick o lean any chance she got. That side of the family loved a salt cured ham too. Sure do miss those great country cooks.

That salt cured ham and shoulder meat was hard to beat.

Redbow

My Grandma would fry a chicken fresh from the flock in lard, make a pan of biscuits with that same lard, cook a big pot of field peas seasoned with fat back, bake a pan of sweet taters in the oven and for dessert a huckleberry pie she made from scratch. The huckleberries she picked out the woods around our house I loved that pie and her home made lemon pie the best.