What is the secret to tender, juicy and "loose" meatloaf.

I’ve made meatloaf at home and in a handful of southern restaurants. A few things they all have in common are 3 meat blend( pork, beef, veal). Usually 60% beef and 20/20 veal pork. Also they all use equal parts whole milk and ketchup in the mix. The cook temps are usually always 350. any other liquids are usually for flavor and only in small doses. Say 1-2 teaspoons.

if you can’t make that work sometimes I’ll also blitz up raw mushrooms and gold them
I’m the mix. Mushrooms hold a lot of water and when they cook them will release that moisture into the meat keeping it juicy.

I like to smoke mine on the egg at 225-250 till medium rare just so it’s set then pull it and chill it. The next day I’ll slice it and sear the slabs we’re eating in a hot cast iron to get the nice outside crust and bring the cook temp to medium or medium well depending on the person.

Oldstick

I’ve made meatloaf at home and in a handful of southern restaurants. A few things they all have in common are 3 meat blend( pork, beef, veal). Usually 60% beef and 20/20 veal pork. Also they all use equal parts whole milk and ketchup in the mix. The cook temps are usually always 350. any other liquids are usually for flavor and only in small doses. Say 1-2 teaspoons.

if you can’t make that work sometimes I’ll also blitz up raw mushrooms and gold them
I’m the mix. Mushrooms hold a lot of water and when they cook them will release that moisture into the meat keeping it juicy.

I like to smoke mine on the egg at 225-250 till medium rare just so it’s set then pull it and chill it. The next day I’ll slice it and sear the slabs we’re eating in a hot cast iron to get the nice outside crust and bring the cook temp to medium or medium well depending on the person.

That's my experience too. Whatever ingredients you choose for the meat mixture, crumbs, milk, catchup, mustard, egg, no matter what. The mixture needs to have sort of a liquid consistency, similar to that of jello, before you cook. Then cook only until it reaches your desired level of "done".

nkbigdog

One rule I have when preparing to cook meat.....I always let any meat get to room temp first, cold meat is denser warm meat is less dense.

pop pop jones

My recipe for meatloaf:

Take about a pound of fresh ground chuck and form it into a thick, oval patty. Salt and pepper both sides. Sear it on both sides in a cast iron pan, then turn the heat down until it's done through to your liking. Meanwhile, take the onions, slice them, and sautee them in another pan. Leave the breadcrumbs whole in the form of bread, put some butter and garlic on it, and toast it. Put the ketchup in a puddle on the plate to dip your meatloaf in. Oh yeah, bake a tater while you're at it, and put it on the plate too. Now, that was easy, and 100x better than the kind most folks make from the same ingredients.
View attachment 995021
Lol X 2

jiminbogart

TCU Go Frawgs !
How can we set up a battle of the meatloaf? I’d be down to take part in such a thing. $10 to enter and winner takes all lol

Did you live in Decatur when Out Way Café was there? They had spectacular meatloaf. When they moved to Avondale they took a turn for the worse.

pop pop jones

When talking about what goes on in a restaurant, I may or may not put much stock, in what employees have to say. If you want the real truth, talk to their vendors. I've delivered to mom and pop size, to the big chain restaurants. The kitchen help don't change how they handle things, just because the delivery guy shows up with the milk or bread.

specialk

https://forum.gon.com/threads/doe-loaf.957131/#post-12044924

click this link, go to post 7.....try this recipe.....mix really good......my loaf is 5-6 wide....maybe the same tall....not quite a foot long......i use bbq sauce but ketchup will work......never had it turn out dry and i make it every couple weeks....