What kind of tree?

bnew17

What kind of tree is this? I’m leaning towards Maple but not sure what kind if it is?

B1C6E619-48E7-461B-9A01-D248FDAC5EC3.jpeg50700488-3E7B-41E5-8BEA-035DFC457C70.jpeg

Last edited:

oldfella1962

Is this wood good for making things? How does it compare to the general “maple” wood?
I found this info about the wood:

"Red maple is an excellent wood for fuel and is also used for saw timber and pulpwood. But because of susceptibility to defects and disease and poor form of individuals of sprout-clump origin, the timber is often low in quality".

Anvil Head

Decent wood, but somewhat soft as maples go. Especially those growing here in the south. Tougher climate growth life will produce denser wood - northern maples have denser "harder" wood - also species makes a diff.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Is this wood good for making things? How does it compare to the general “maple” wood?
It's decent lumber wood. Kind of a middle of the road maple. Not as dense and strong as sugar maple, but better than some of the others.

Hillbilly stalker

It’s good for whittling and switches. They make a good shade tree and grow pretty fast. They’re bad about roots running on top of the ground when they get bigger. They have thousands of them little helicopters that fall (seed). I get to clean them out of my gutter couple times a year.