Whats the difference between chrome lined and nitride?

killerv

nitride can be also inside the barrel. I believe in most cases, the exterior and bore of barrel are treated with nitride.

Nitride is usually cheaper than chrome lined, said to be more accurate. Chrome handles heat better if you intend to put a lot of round through it in a short period of time.

Last edited:

transfixer

the way I've always understood it, is chrome lining of barrels makes the barrel more durable, longer lasting, especially if subjected to high rates of fire, but the chrome lining process isn't totally precise, so in general chrome lined barrels are not as accurate as a barrel just treated with a nitride or some other process ,

I have an Egyptian Maadi ak that has a chrome lined barrel, and even shooting corrosive ammo in it over the years, and not taking particularly good care of it in as far as cleaning regularly,, the bore is still clean and shiny

bighonkinjeep

Okay found this from a trustworthy source.

I was wondering with regards to AR barrels which it seems for their most common applications apparently benefit more from chrome.
I have heard that an exceptionally accurate bolt rifles accuracy can be maintained almost indefinitely by nitriding it and never thought much about it till now.

woods&water

I have several of each. I will only buy nitride from now on. It is slightly more accurate and easier to clean in my applications (AR's). The only advantage that I know of for chrome lined is it stands up to rapid fire heat buildup very well (full auto). The military uses it for that very reason.

rosewood

no sir...that is why I put this after it :huh:
like bighonkinjeep I have never really given much thought to it. Caleb even enlightened me. I didn't realize it was inside the barrel too and that even melonite was a form of nitride coating.
Melonite, Armornite, Tenifer, are all nitride treatments. They are brand names of the same process.

Makes it harder, slicker and more durable and many times is done on stainless. S&W had to rename their version from Melonite to Armornite to avoid copyright infringment.

Rosewood

rosewood

I have several of each. I will only buy nitride from now on. It is slightly more accurate and easier to clean in my applications (AR's). The only advantage that I know of for chrome lined is it stands up to rapid fire heat buildup very well (full auto). The military uses it for that very reason.
I think chrome lined was the best option for the inside of the barrel before nitride became more popular.

Rosewood

Latest posts