Where in Notheast Georgia can I catch a Pumpkinseed?

ASH556

I’m blessed that my neighborhood pond has a healthy bream population to include Bluegill, Coppernose, Shellcracker, and Redbreast. I’d like to catch a Pumkinseed, but I’ve never so much as seen one in person. Are there any places in NE GA to catch one?

oldfella1962

I’m blessed that my neighborhood pond has a healthy bream population to include Bluegill, Coppernose, Shellcracker, and Redbreast. I’d like to catch a Pumkinseed, but I’ve never so much as seen one in person. Are there any places in NE GA to catch one?
Here a distribution map that should help you. BTW that is a terrible picture of a pumpkinseed on the site. I have better ones I'm attaching. I used to catch plenty in a lake I fished a lot in Wisconsin in high school.

pump1.jpgpump2.jpg

Big7

The Oracle
If you want to get some to stock your pond and don't mind driving a ways, The Savannah River is full of them and there are are plenty of places to put a boat in around Augusta, Ga. and North Augusta, South Carolina. Weed, like Cattails and other weeds (that I don't know the name of) grow in the water a few feet from the bank. Cast right up next to them with a cricket, and you should be able to catch them. I've only done it twice on the Savannah, both different years and caught a good mess both times. You will catch other species of Brim too and probably a few American Shad.

They are easier to catch in rivers than they are in Impoundments, in my experience anyway.