Who is ready to see the feathers fly?

Bigearl68

Opening day of doves season is hands down my favorite day of the year. It’s the only day that I actually look forward to with a certain anticipation. I’ve been this was since my dad took me on my first when I was around 6 years old. 30 some years later the passion still remains. Everyone knows I do not work that day and I do not attend any other functions. If you choose to get married on the first Saturday in September just save your invitation, because I ain’t coming!
The sunflowers and corn are looking perfect so now we just need the birds and I’m sure they will be along.

Big7

The Oracle
My all time favorite first day hunt. Been on some duds and some barn burners and a lot in between. Might add my son took me to Argentina and every thing you have heard is true. Endless birds and food over the top
I had a couple of chances to go to Argentina with a friend that took his sons a few times but I wouldn't fly in an airplane. I would go now given the chance.

They had video of the sky covered in birds. The "bird boys" would load the next gun and hand it to you after you empty the first gun. Non stop shooting as long as you could take it.

They all took 2 Benelli 20ga shotguns each and said they were the only shotguns that would hold up under those conditions. Also said nobody took a 12ga because that kind of action would wreck your shoulder.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
I`m not seeing many yet, but let some peanuts get pulled and the Fall gets a little closer and we`ll get wrapped up with doves.

flatwoods

Got about 60 coming to a small 2 acre field regularly. It'll do for just the two of us.
Back field may not be ready early.
Got a big corn field that is always productive, cut or not.
Should have a good time anyway.

Big7

The Oracle
Rode around last weekend to check out a few public places to shoot.

Clybel looked the best out of all of them and then I noticed it was all quota. :banginghe

Couple of other WMA's had a good crop as they did last year but they cut it to late.

I recon SOMEBODY needs to show them how to manage a Dove field.

au7126

I had a couple of chances to go to Argentina with a friend that took his sons a few times but I wouldn't fly in an airplane. I would go now given the chance.

They had video of the sky covered in birds. The "bird boys" would load the next gun and hand it to you after you empty the first gun. Non stop shooting as long as you could take it.

They all took 2 Benelli 20ga shotguns each and said they were the only shotguns that would hold up under those conditions. Also said nobody took a 12ga because that kind of action would wreck your shoulder.
The 20 Benelli did a good job on my arm the first evening we arrived. The first box of shells the next morning went slow. Then it was business as usual.

spring

20 gauges are about all you see down there and truly all you need. Ballistically, the difference is much less than you'd think, and primarily only in pattern density at long range. Down there, you don't have to take long shots to get plenty of shooting.
We're going to back to Bolivia. Same bird numbers as farther south and a slightly easier place to get to.

spring

Saw a lot of birds 2 days ago in a recently harvested center pivot corn field. Rode along and a good group of them just moved from one side towards the other. I surely wanted to head out there, but of course could only dream. Unfortunately the field was picked a bit early so that it could be replanted in milo. Seeing lots more double cropping going on, with winter wheat and milo often being the combo.
Should set up well for a late season hunt in that pivot field.

Last edited: