Wild pigs a big, fat threat

Researcher31726

Gone But Not Forgotten
Originally Posted by kcausey
They wear burnt Mortor oil out, as well as deisel fuel. they like wholering in it, keeps the bugs off of them.

We use to raise hogs and cattle on our farm. We'd hang a burlap sack with motor oil over the top of a gate opening, where the cattle and hogs were bursh against it. There was always a traffic jam at that spot!

Davexx1

Funny how the newspaper writers can inflame the public into a rage against an animal. Also funny how the problem is supposedly so great but few people are allowed to go in and help control the offender.

If all was true, it seems the land owners would be more receptive to offers from responsible hunters to help. An offer to pay for the priviledge of hunting hogs (only) certainly would not hurt.

Dave1

the HEED!

Banned
I love the wording in the first paragraph talking about them eating wild hog and honoring the states "WOODSY TRADITION"... HEY LADY, YOU LIVE IN GEORGIA IF YA HAVENT NOTICED YET... ITS WHAT WE DO!

broadhead

Part of the problem is keeping up with the reproduction of the hogs. As I understand it they can produce three litters a year. With those kinds of numbers on 5,000 acres they reproduce exponentially.
It seems most of the farmers down here are interested in farming and a little hunting to put some meat on the table. Guiding strangers on their property for profit is just not something most are not interested in.
I agree with you if I had 5,000 acres I might guide a few hunts a year myself, but they just don't think that way. Come down to Rocky Ford and call these guys whiners and see how much hunting you get to do on their property!:D

Randy said:
I believe you can get a permit to hunt hogs over bait here in Georgia? If so it works and they should do it. Maybe the farmers that are leasing teh farming rights should add in that they have he right to hunt the hogs?

I am really saying I am tired of hereing land owners/farmers/leasees etc. whine about hogs when there are hunters out here willing to pay to hunt them. Heck, Woody adn his group do it a couple times each year. I assume they have found that it has added an income to their lease?

You can bet if I had hogs on my land, I would be guiding every weekend after deer season.

zirc_99

Really a Problem?

A lot of willing hunters yet the problem mounts. Something is not adding up. DNR is NOT helping when they limit hunting them with just "small game weapons" during the non big game season. They're vermin, and any weapon anytime should be allowed on WMAs. This "quasi-protectionism" of hogs by DNR is puzzling. Is it a poaching problem or what?

Insofar as agricultural losses are concerned..again no "open-arms policy" towards the hunters. In TN. the local game warden always seemed to have a list of farmers that were taking damage (either from hogs or yotes), and WANTED hunters to take them out. Don't agricultural interests interact with DNR enforcement?