Wilkes County 23-24

Howard Roark

Retired Moderator
What are folks seeing in Wilkes County. How is the white oak and persimmon crop?

BowSniper

The hardwoods I hunt are loaded with acorns and they are dropping. My main persimmons were choked out by vines and have died. There are a few other trees around that have good fruit on them but they are smaller trees that will play out early. Saw a ton of deer in the hardwoods this past weekend.

BowSniper

deermaster13

White oaks I've seen are loaded. Like crazy loaded and dropping heavy. Our feeder cameras have been almost silent the last week and half now. Hardwoods we sat there were lots of deer seen.

BowSniper

Actually had 5 walk by a feeder this morning going to white oaks and never even stopped at it.
It is amazing the power of an acorn with deer. My 10 year old boy and I will be hunting over them tomorrow.

BowSniper

BowSniper

Sat in the same stand as last Saturday AM. Son is looking for anything with some tines pointing upwards to kill with his rifle or anything for his first bowkill. We carry both his rifle and his bow to the stand and swap out as needed. Missed 3 year old 8 point with his rifle and watched it walk off through the thick stuff. Later he redeemed himself with a smaller 8 point. Then the spike he was walking around with walked in bow range. So after a weapon swap, he missed him at 15 yards. Shortly after, another spike came running through pushing a doe and a 6 pointer walked out and we tried to get him to come into bow range with no luck. We probably saw 15 deer or so this hunt. Probably six different bucks and the rest does and yearlings. It was raining acorns all morning. Love the power the acorns have to pull the deer in.

BowSniper1.jpg

highbeam

Congratulations to the fine young man!

Heading down to Danburg on Wednesday for a week. Work has been taking up most of my time during the early season. Hope to see the same conditions you experienced over the week-end at my place. I hope this cold snap, about to roll in from the north, will get the big boys moving. The rut for my area is Nov. 3rd thru the 9th. Dropped a nice buck last year on the 4th hope to do it again this year. Stay safe!

BowSniper

Been hunting this property for 30 years now and historically early November is the time. I am hoping to be in the woods this coming weekend and the next as that is prime weekends for our farm (3 miles south of Tignall). You should be there in the perfect time, especially with the cooler weather coming. Jealous of you for sure. Good luck and hope you knock a big'n down.

BowSniper

Howard Roark

Retired Moderator
It seems the white oaks in our area are just starting to drop acorns.

sea trout

2021 Turkey Challenge Winner 2022 biggest turkey ?
Weve seen small and medium bucks a plenty messin with does since halloween.
The acorns on our club didn't do great this year in my spots. But acorns nust be good in nearby spots cause like y'all have witnessed the deer have been low existance at our feeders this fall so far. Way less activity at the feeders than normal.
I hope to hunt for 8 ish days straight over thanksgiving break! I hope to see a biggun in the upper 1teens or 120's!!! I know they're out there!
Good luck to y'all!