Worming Deer

swamp hunter

My Club Outlawed Feeders last Year. I don,t care. I don,t use them .
Now They are Talking bout letting Feeders back in... But all Feed has to have De-Wormer in it.
As You Farmers , And Foodplotters know. PH in Soil is paramount. Nutrient Uptake is the name of the game.
Studys say Deer with Worms don,t get full use of the Nutrients in the brose They eat.
When You,ve got poor soils as most of Us have, Low Nutrients to begin with , It would seem to Me that full utilization of them would allow bigger Deer Body wise and Horn wise.

What say You ? Are We just having a fun fun chicken run, or working with what We,ve got ?:huh:

Last edited by a moderator:

dawg2

AWOL ADMINISTRATOR
How will you control the dose?

DAVE

I say your club has reached a new plateau. I can see a whole new market opening up, it is going to be the next big thing. Just got to work out controlling the dosage?

Forest Grump

Please ask your legislators to vote NO on deer farming!

Generally, intestinal worms in deer are not a major factor in failure to thrive. Most wild deer have a low worm burden. It is exceedingly difficult to get your individual deer to consume the appropriate amount of feed containing dewormer to constitute an effective dose anyway.
Nutrition, population density, & STRESS are much more important.:cheers:

Forest Grump

I say your club has reached a new plateau. I can see a whole new market opening up, it is going to be the next big thing. Just got to work out controlling the dosage?

Actually, you can buy the feed with dewormer in it, ADM makes a version for captive deer "farmers". But you are correct in that, unlike captive deer which can be fed measured amounts at controlled intervals, wild deer visiting a feeder are very unlikely to receive an appropriate "dose". It's a waste of your funds. Get your pH right, plant good quality plots, & if you must feed, spend your money on the best feed you can buy.

miller

Actually, you can buy the feed with dewormer in it, ADM makes a version for captive deer "farmers". But you are correct in that, unlike captive deer which can be fed measured amounts at controlled intervals, wild deer visiting a feeder are very unlikely to receive an appropriate "dose". It's a waste of your funds. Get your pH right, plant good quality plots, & if you must feed, spend your money on the best feed you can buy.

Great input grump, but I have often wondered what impact blood suckers (ticks and others) have on deer. I know they can somewhat be controlled by prescribed fire, but those properties still have them. It just seems that exterior perisites do more harm, I may be totally off base here, but it seems logical. I know cattle farmers treat both and yes I know deer are not cattle. Thoughts?

Fireaway

All that would likely be accomplished is underdosage, and resistance in the intestinal parasite population to the dewormer used. Worms can develop resistance to dewormers rapidly when they are not used properly, just look at haemonchus contortus in domestic sheep and goats

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
Bot fly larvae is the only bad worm infestation i've seen in wild deer, and that was in central Florida where the herd was overpopulated and undernorished.
Did visit a plantation south of Bainbridge Ga some years back and checked out what they were doing with wormer.
They had two tracts of land, divided from one another. Fed feed with wormer on one tract, and not the other. The tract that got wormer had an average of 25 pound increase in body weight. In my hunting area, spraying in farm fields keep external parasites to a minimum as deer wade through em.

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
make sure you get the kind with the deer steriods added to it too.

T

wildlifepro

Banned
My Club Outlawed Feeders last Year. I don,t care. I don,t use them .
Now They are Talking bout letting Feeders back in... But all Feed has to have De-Wormer in it.
As You Farmers , And Foodplotters know. PH in Soil is paramount. Nutrient Uptake is the name of the game.
Studys say Deer with Worms don,t get full use of the Nutrients in the brose They eat.
When You,ve got poor soils as most of Us have, Low Nutrients to begin with , It would seem to Me that full utilization of them would allow bigger Deer Body wise and Horn wise.

What say You ? Are We just having a fun fun chicken run, or working with what We,ve got ?:huh:

Hey Swamp, Deer with worms or more important that have intestinal parasites can and does rob deer of nutrients and good health. Adult deer can have an average of 20 different parasites in their system. If possible go around your fields and locate several fresh piles of deer droopings and seal them in a ziplock bag and send them off for testing if you can.You can buy high quality feeds that have antiparasitics in them that will remove intestinal parasites and lung worms. You will see a noticable difference in your deers body condition upon flushing them out of your deers system.Worming can be done but getting the right amounts to each deer at a feed station can difficult.But yes it can be done.

dtala

:banginghe:banginghe:banginghe:banginghe

Worming in all of the feed all of the time would be a mistake. Any wormer will lose its effectiveness over time because the parasites adapt to it. You gotta change wormers at least every year er two.

You can use Safeguard cattle pellets added to the feeders twice a year to worm(Jan andJune). They don't call it "Safeguard" for nothing. There is no "overdose" for it, so ya just load em up so ya don't under dose. Done it for years.

troy

wildlifepro

Banned
:banginghe:banginghe:banginghe:banginghe

Worming in all of the feed all of the time would be a mistake. Any wormer will lose its effectiveness over time because the parasites adapt to it. You gotta change wormers at least every year er two.

You can use Safeguard cattle pellets added to the feeders twice a year to worm(Jan andJune). They don't call it "Safeguard" for nothing. There is no "overdose" for it, so ya just load em up so ya don't under dose. Done it for years.

troy

Yes sir, you can use safeguard on your deer twice a year and you will be fine.

Boar Hog

Since most deer roam freely, how can one tell the organic from the non-organic? :rofl:

JBowers

So much for venison being an organic meat. Seems the salesmen have convinced us to screw that up too!