Youth Day Magic

buckpasser

Even though my preseason scouting turned out to be almost completely useless, BP jr connected with a great Tom today. We sat alone and unanswered in the field the turkeys have been using for at least a week, then had to find where they had relocated to at around 9:00. Turns out they had moved about 700 yards or so and were in a different field.

After several unanswered calling sessions a faint gobble gave us hope, and finally with sunburned cheeks we saw some movement coming down the field edge. We had to endure the scrutiny of a gang of Jakes, then 4 hens (2 of which were bearded), and finally a strutter followed by a silent lieutenant. My buddy had to wait for a loooong time to get the Tom clear of a pesky hen and then made a great “thread the needle” shot at around 10:30.

Ended up having an 11 in beard, 1 1/4 - 1 1/8 spurs and weighed in at 21lbs even. I didn’t tell him this (and it’s not important) but as we were watching the other turkeys walk off after the shot, I glassed the other Tom’s legs and he looked to be sporting some 1 1/2 plus spurs! Maybe he’ll be a fun time for someone else at some point soon. In the meantime, I congratulate him on his promotion!

IMG_1164.jpeg

IMG_1210.jpeg

IMG_1198.jpeg

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
Good looking bird and young man , congrats to the buckpasser crew ! Hard work almost always equals success .

turkeykirk

Congratulations!

Gaswamp

congrats. nice bird

Hillbilly stalker

Congratulation's young man !!! Thats a magnum bird. Field turkeys can be tougher than woodpecker lips, way to hang in there. :rockon: Good on you too dad.(y)

buckpasser

Where did you get him a youth sized leafy suit at ? Nice bird for sure. Thanks

I got him and his sister those things on Amazon. They aren’t great quality, but it’s nice to just throw them on and go over school clothes. You can see his under armor logo through the shirt, but it’s pretty faint.

sea trout

2021 Turkey Challenge Winner 2022 biggest turkey ?
Great hunt!!!
Having to wait for a good shot makes the anticipation so intense!
Awesome bird!
I wish y'all best of luck on the long spurred bird

buckpasser

Great hunt!!!
Having to wait for a good shot makes the anticipation so intense!
Awesome bird!
I wish y'all best of luck on the long spurred bird

We’re not gonna go after him unless a bunch more move in on that place. Doesn’t feel right to leave a breeding flock Tom-less to me. Spurs are like antlers…they can be the devil! Lol

wvdawg

Staff member
Mighty fine - congrats!