Youth Success (after we got soaked)

Huntinfool

(Editing to add the videos. Had to compress to get it here, so it's a little blurry and you definitely can't see the bird. He came from the left, crossed the road and up into the woods on the right. Obviously, we were hoping he would walk right down the road. I'm posting it because you get a second or two of both of our reactions. To say we were excited is a little bit of an understatement!)

My son, Walker, and I went out yesterday morning with my brother in law and his sons and got absolutely soaked to the bone. Headed back to the camper to dry off and wait the rain out then we gathered what dry camo we could find and put on wet for the rest and headed back out right at 11.

When we got to where we wanted to start, he wanted to run his crow call (which literally never works for me). As soon as he hit it we got a response and the game was on.

Long story short. We found this bird and he seriously gobbled 100 times…but only at my son. If I called I got nothing! He calls and there’s an immediate response every time. So eventually I just quit calling and let him take over.

We had to reposition twice, but finally got him to commit. He hung up at about 30 yards and in the woods. I suppose he saw something he didn’t like.

But I was so proud of this kid. Not only did he call this bird in all by himself, he recognized the “I’m getting out of here” wing tuck and laid this bird out with his 870 20 gauge. Awesome Turkey with needle 1.25” spurs and 10.5” beard.

Man I love this kid and love that he loves to hunt. I have a video of the shot and his reaction that I’ll try to post later. He dropped that gun and tackled me as soon as the bird dropped. Probably my new all time favorite hunt.

AA225F94-EAAC-4FF1-BF1E-A98FA7DE3914.jpeg

91E389A8-B4E8-470D-AB4D-1A2E21F87C29.jpeg

Last edited:

buckpasser

Dang right!

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
Great bird and smiles , congratulations ! That’s the kind of hunt that’ll make a turkey hunter for life !

Gaswamp

Great hunt look forward to the video

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
Woohoo! Way to go Walker! Congratulations on calling in your bird:cheers:
Great big beautiful Turkey too!
So he tackled you? Talk about overwhelming joy! No doubt that’s what he was experiencing and he showed it! Congrats to you too dad! He a lucky kid to have you leading him in the outdoors…….but he may not let you do much calling anymore :ROFLMAO:

Huntinfool

…….but he may not let you do much calling anymore :ROFLMAO:

I would never tell him this, but his mouth calling sounds a little bit like a wounded duck right now! He's learning and practicing a bunch. But it's not great yet.

But I'll tell you this...that turkey thought he was putting out the sweetest love yelps he'd ever heard!:ROFLMAO:

I mean I couldn't get that bird to respond for my life. He sent out his wounded duck imitation and that bird about choked himself making sure he responded.

sea trout

2021 Turkey Challenge Winner 2022 biggest turkey ?
Mighty fin pics!!!!!!!!