After 40 years of hunting I am done

jbogg

A Friend of my deals with this as well. I can’t help you with the decision to hunt or not, and I am not sure what I would decide if I were in your shoes. As a beef alternative my buddy orders Imu by the case from somewhere. He says it’s the closest to beef of any meat he has tried. It’s not a Ribeye, but it’s not bad either.

ninjaneer

A Friend of my deals with this as well. I can’t help you with the decision to hunt or not, and I am not sure what I would decide if I were in your shoes. As a beef alternative my buddy orders Imu by the case from somewhere. He says it’s the closest to beef of any meat he has tried. It’s not a Ribeye, but it’s not bad either.

Here's the one I know of. Haven't tried it myself yet.
https://amaroohills.com

Sautee Ridgerunner

I dont usually post on this forum but Ive had this for over fifteen years and figured Id throw in. Over time my allergy has gotten worse. I no longer eat dairy or gelatin. Actually, just the other day I ate a mislabeled sandwhich that turned out to be pork and went into full blown anaphylaxis. I do still hunt. It’s not something I could ever stop but now my wife, brother, friends, and family eat my kills. It has made going traditional archery only a very easy decision to make. It’s really the only way I want to hunt anyway but it limits my killing by default.

Something else you should know is that alpha gal allergy sufferers develop arterial plaque 30 percent more than those who can eat meat. Im sure it has to do with the inflammatory nature of eating trace amounts of this stuff all the time. And there is hope. Im not a believer in accupuncture as a treatment but doctors are perfecting using CRISPR technology to turn off Allergies by way of your genes. This has been done successfully in animal trials and will likely be ten years out from human markets but it is for sure.

Emu is a good substitute and you will not deal with better people than those at amaroo hill farms.

Good luck with it. It sucks horribly. I can never believe when I see people still not using permanone religiously but whatever. Lots of them will learn the hard way. Never had any luck whatsoever with the whole vinegar drinking trick either. I suspect that may work for some people that bugs barely like anyway but it doesnt do jack for me

Juan De

I personally know someone in the same boat as you, and he is now able to eat pork, but beef is still out of the question. I can understand your pain. Was diagnosed with Lyme about 18 months ago. Went through several meds and most of the symptoms are gone now except for having high blood pressure because of it. Was a long agonizing battle. Hang in there man.

Bkeepr

Due to the extreme reaction you are having, it is probably also unsafe for you to process an animal too? Maybe you could do dove, quail and grouse hunting instead with a dog buddy?

ninjaneer

I made a appointment with a doctor in VA beach today that said he has a 80 present rate of fixing Lonestar tick bite but got to wait till January 18 to see him I hope it works

If that's Dr Leibel in VAB he trained under Dr Soliman in MD, where the lady from Smyna I mentioned went for training. I'd preferred to see him too, due to more experience, but figured I'd knock the needle out the first week and have to go back. I just had my first piece of bacon in nearly a year. Will be my first test of this procedure other than butter and cheese.

lampern

Powassan virus is another tick virus to look out for except its mostly fatal.

Killed a former US Senator from NC the other day.

brdyhll

A farmer I lease from got bit by a tick and couldnt eat meat. He went to an acupuncture doctor who stuck a needle in his ear (Sounded crazy to me) in a certain spot and left it for a day or so. He pulled it out the next day with help from his wife and can now eat red meat again. Idk if this will help you or not but it’s worth a try I’d bet.

ninjaneer

Interested to hear if the bacon eating went okay or anaphylaxis?

I had half a bacon egg biscuit that morning. No issue. At lunch that day, I decided to have a little beef. No having time to cook, went to Wendy's and had a Dave's single with cheese. Was gonna eat only half but decided how much beef could really be in this plus it tasted good after nearly a year so I had the whole thing. Stomach hurt a bit about an hour later but it passed and no issues with my throat/lungs. This weekend I had a bite of pork roast an ate a piece of steak with so reaction.

ninjaneer

I'm taking it slow and keeping epi pen and benedryl handy but so far it seems to doing the trick. Venison will be the next test. I would recommend anyone with this to have the SAAT procedure. It is not conventional acupuncture. There is muscle testing involved which identifies the exact location for the needle placement, which stays in the ear for 3 weeks.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I'm taking it slow and keeping epi pen and benedryl handy but so far it seems to doing the trick. Venison will be the next test. I would recommend anyone with this to have the SAAT procedure. It is not conventional acupuncture. There is muscle testing involved which identifies the exact location for the needle placement, which stays in the ear for 3 weeks.
Good to hear that it's maybe getting better.

Triple C

ninjaneer - Just now reading this thread and man do I feel for you. I had a buddy down to the farm 2 years ago that got bit by a tick and came down with this allergy. It bout killed him before he found out what he had. I had never heard of this before his case. Since then, I've learned more and more people are getting this after a lonestar tick bite.

We all need to take the proper precaution during warmer months. This stuff is bad!

Sautee Ridgerunner

I appreciate the info. I had to make a facebook account to join the group you mentioned and I talked to a doc today who does the procedure. Scheduling mine for the next few weeks

plumber_1969

Years ago (early 80's), my cousin in Louisiana about died from Lyme disease. Took the doctors about a year to full recognize what was happening to him. That is some scary stuff!

Wayne D Davis

Man I'm so sorry to see this. I'm not sure what I'd do if it were me but I bet I wouldn't give up hunting. Lots of folks in my family eat from my harvest. I guess they'd get it all but I'd be out there

Latest posts