Pick your State

snooker1

For those who don't own their own hunting land. If you could own hunting land in any state what state would you pick. For me it would be Kentucky.

snooker1

If I were to buy hunting land I'd also live on it , not sure where that would be ? I'd have to do some checking around in Alabama and maybe Kentucky, I'd love to retire to the backwoods of Idaho or Montana, but don't know if I could handle the terrain now that I'm older

This is my goal, to purchase land and hunt it, eventually put a small cabin on it and when I get older live out my final years on it.

toolmkr20

Lower Michigan around Union City on the border of Indiana. My wife is from there and it’s nothing but agriculture fields but there are some absolute studs walking around those fields and drainages.

Lilly001

I made that choice.
I chose Georgia.
Why?
Decent deer population.
inexpensive land.
location ( only 6+ hours drive from my home in Fl).
climate (4 seasons but not brittle cold).
Friendly people.
the location was a major consideration. I can realistically make a weekend trip and I have driven up and back in one day.
I considered West NC and East Tenn (I do own a small lot north of Chattanooga) but the drive time weighed heavy against them.

HermanMerman

I would be a pig in slop with some land in western Mississippi, bordering the river. I used to have sod farm clients in Jackson and Clarksdale. The ride on hwy 61 was fantastic... ducks flying, turkeys strutting, and some of the biggest deer I have ever seen.

Stroker

Western Kentucky or Tennessee, somewhere along the Tennessee river drainage. Plenty of deer, fish, and ducks. Reasonably mild winter and summers.

rawolfee

Lower Michigan around Union City on the border of Indiana. My wife is from there and it’s nothing but agriculture fields but there are some absolute studs walking around those fields and drainages.

I grew up a few miles from Union, in Edwardsburg. My mom and sister still live there. Spent lots of summers on Baldwin Lake at my friends cottage. You aren't lying about there being some studs. Tough to area to hunt though unless you know someone. I miss all the natural fresh water lakes up there.

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
Well it was Iowa until they drug us through the ringer and caused us to miss the 2019 Iowa season. So now the house and farm are for sale and we are looking 8 miles south across the Missouri border.

1st choice, Far Northern Missouri along the IA border, 2nd Southern Illinois or 3rd where I am now in Southern Indiana would be my choice. All three of these states offer some of the finest whitetail, turkey and small game hunting in the country along with incredible river systems, small to med sized pond fishing and decent big lakes. The slow living lifestyle is to die for and part of what I fell in love with.