Long term study about coyote effects on deer populations

nmurph

I began to see them in the mid-eighties in Bacon County. Over the years their population seems to go up and down. There was a time around the turn of the century when it was not uncommon to see four or five on the camera at one time. Now, I only see singles.

Sixes

Love um or hate um they're here to stay. I usually get a crack at a couple a year. If I ever witness one killing a turkey or deer it'll get personal. I know to be on guard while Turkey calling. That's usually when I get a shot.... occasionally closer than I prefer.
Here you go. This pics were taken off a security camera in Cherokee county by me a couple years ago. I went out and saved the button buck for the time being.

yote1.jpgyote2.jpgyote3.jpg

Wayne D Davis

I've never sat out to hunt yotes. Just happenstance . Most my hogs come the same way. I think they should allow electronic yote calls legal on wma's

Nicodemus

Old and Ornery
Staff member
What about the impact from bears and foxes?

280 Man

Banned
What about the burning of lands, the Bush hogging of fields!

Most of the studies that are done seem to be on the macro level and not the micro level.

Irregardless of what level, call me hardheaded or whatever no one will ever be able to tell me that trapping does not help!

Wayne D Davis

Well before the yote invasion we had red wolves. I think a red wolf would be tougher on deer and turkey populations than yotes are today. Maybe we should reintroduce the wolf into Georgia.

Nicodemus

Old and Ornery
Staff member
Sadly, I haven't seen a wild fox in over a decade and have never seen a bear. (I'm not sad about that though! Haha)

I`m lucky enough to see bobcats, both types of foxes, and coyotes on a real regular basis. Predators are an interesting thing to watch while you`re in the woods. They are to me, anyway.

Nicodemus

Old and Ornery
Staff member
What about the burning of lands, the Bush hogging of fields!

Most of the studies that are done seem to be on the macro level and not the micro level.

Irregardless of what level, call me hardheaded or whatever no one will ever be able to tell me that trapping does not help!

It does help, especially in these times. Trapping is and always has been a valuable tool to help keep predators in check.

Even if fur is bringing pitiful prices nowadays.

huckhgh

I`m lucky enough to see bobcats, both types of foxes, and coyotes on a real regular basis. Predators are an interesting thing to watch while you`re in the woods. They are to me, anyway.

Yea, I see a pretty good bit of bobcats (especially turkey hunting) but can't seem to cross paths with a fox. My turkey calling must not be good enough to trick a fox!