Trekking pole?

chrislibby88

Y’all ever use a trekking pole in the hills? I carried a bipod style shooting stick last year and used it as a trekking. Wound up breaking them the last day dragging a deer down a steep drainage. They helped me a lot going down steep grades and side billing. I meant to get a single collapsible trekking pole this year, like an aluminum telescoping one that could collapse down small and stuffed in my pack when not needed, but never got around to it. Wanted to see what y’all used, if anything.

fatback

I have a pair of stony point shooting sticks that I used up there scouting last week. They are telescopic and you can adjust them to to correct height for hiking and then adjust them to hunt with. I use a small piece of coated wire to keep all 3 legs secured to each other while hiking. I’ve used this method quite a few times and have been happy with it.

jbogg

I use one all the time year-round while scouting. It has saved me countless times from taking a tumble. I can’t carry my cocked crossbow with just one hand so unfortunately I can’t use it while hunting.

Nicodemus

Old and Ornery
Staff member
I use a walking stick I made myself. Water oak that a vine grew around. Helps me get around better with these bad knees. Serves as a shooting rest as well as good for shooing rattlesnakes and cottonmouths out of my path too.

7Mag Hunter

I carry a small saw in my pack, and when i see a nice straight oak or hickory sapling about 1" or so in diameter, i make myself a new walking stick...give them away or keep one in the truck....got about a dozen laying around....Oak or hickory are not fragile, and u ain't gonna break them....

Hillbilly stalker

I drill a hole in the end and attach a loop. It down on movement and you can release it without dropping it. Their handy.

Pig Predator

Useles Billy’s Fishel Hog Killer ?
I just have a stick with a Y at the top. It is handy in the hills and the Y pushes them saw briars out of the way pretty good too.

chrislibby88

I will wack one down when I get up there if I need it. Hopefully I will have a heavy pack coming off a mountain and will need to cut one.

Pig Predator

Useles Billy’s Fishel Hog Killer ?
That's what mine is also. But, it's not just a stick. We have lots of memories together and I have left it a couple times after a lil sit down only to track back to get it.

Nicodemus

Old and Ornery
Staff member
Here`s my hunting walking stick, along with my two walking canes, one I keep in my truck and one that stays in The Redhead`s truck. They are all vine scarred water oak. I have another walking stick in the works that is American Chestnut sapling that a fine gentleman out of the north Georgia mountains cut and sent to me.

Those two antler handled canes also make good weapons.

walkin` stick 1.jpg

chrislibby88

Here`s my hunting walking stick, along with my two walking canes, one I keep in my truck and one that stays in The Redhead`s truck. They are all vine scarred water oak. I have another walking stick in the works that is American Chestnut sapling that a fine gentleman out of the north Georgia mountains cut and sent to me.

Those two antler handled canes also make good weapons.

View attachment 1038460
Those antler handles are very cool, don’t trip and fall on them though, haha.

Latest posts