22 October 2023 Opening Day Double Deer

basshappy

BANNED
Sunday the 22nd of October was a day for the diary. Just one of those adventures you will remember vividly forever, or until you lose your mind and your partner in crime will continue to retell the story to you as you sit and grin but have zero recollection. :) Here is PART ONE of our whitetail opening day (for us) adventure.

Leading into our opening day of Whitetail 2023, my boy and I had spent much time on our family property - burning, pruning, felling, pulling, studying, setting up cameras, reviewing footage, etc. Started back in January when last year's deer season was done basically. Probably as many hours doing manual labor as creeping, sitting, and watching. Our property is small, and made up of mostly steep terrain. Mostly hardwoods with pines mixed throughout. Loads of muscadine vines, too. Because of the topography and size I knew I had to focus on the one sense that deer rely on most - the sense of smell. My boy can sit stationary for hours, and coupled with his ability to be a statue he is silent when still. But how could we work on our scent control, include a cover scent, and play the wind and thermal up and down drafts with the terrain we're on? I spent some time walking every bit of our property, noting indicators (trails, rubs, scrapes, pooh, browsing, food sources, bedding locations, etc., and wrote it all down in the notebook. I decided we could have 5 potential post up locations depending on the wind and how the deer were moving come hunting season. I took some smoke bombs to each of these locations and set them off ground level and also 10 feet up in a tree. I needed to see how the wind would move our scent. Watching the smoke bombs was telling. In the notebook the data went. As whitetail season drew nearer I was more careful with my treks, but I was in search of scrapes. Found two spots, one I coined "Scrape Central" and the other "Buck Up". Maybe coincidental but both scrape hot spots were (are) atop a ridge, and both at the end of the ridge. As such, each had scent trails leading to/from on either side leading down to the bottoms below.

With a soccer match on Saturday and van charging issues still not sorted until late, we didn't get on the road until late evening on Saturday. Instead of our usual pick a tune and sing along we talked about deer and what we thought we might see or what we hoped to see the next day. When we arrived at our property I set out our hunting gear and then hopped back into the van to continue our reading of THE FELLOWSHIP OF THE RING. Didn't take too long before my boy fell asleep and then I continued prep work for the next day. I double checked firearms, pack gear, and the clothing we were going to wear. Then it was time to run to the land of nod and grab some zzzzzz.

Woke up 5:15 AM Sunday morning and stepped outside. Loved the cool air temperature, and the quietness of the forest. Sadly a lone deer blew me around 5:30 AM - maybe 10 yards from our van. But it was a single blow and a slow trot off. I broke off a small bit of pine branch and rubbed my boy's shoes inside and out with it, then did the same with mine. Pine is a smart cover scent in our property as there is a pine not too far from anywhere on our land. I have been breaking off a bit of pine every trip out this past year, rubbing shoes, and carrying in pocket. In my mind at least it gives the deer a familiar scent. Sure we try to minimize our scent and the gear we wear, but I do think a cover scent local to the area is good.

Got my boy up at 5:45 AM and we were outside changing into our gear and walking in by 6 AM. Just something we do. No matter the air temperature. Last Winter one morning it was 29 degrees and out we went naked to change into our hunting clothes. I find my boy moves a little quicker the colder the temperature! We headed off into the darkness without a word and made our way to my climber. I climbed up an oak not far from what I coined "scrape central" and my boy laid a towel on the ground below me and drifted off to sleep. He did ask me though if a deer could step on a person. I replied "Sure, why not?" Telling words unknown at that time. Was in the climber for maybe 25 minutes and I heard a deer moving up the ravine to our right. Just that slow browse walk. Twilight dawn, too dark to see anything clearly other than trees. This deer continued to move in and it was eating the acorns from the tree I was in! I so wanted to snap a photo with flash to show my boy how close a deer was standing to him sleeping on the ground, but not wanting to blow our cover I just listened and grinned. The deer continue to walk on and never sniffed nor blew nor trotted. I was stupefied. And yes, it bugs me a little to not know the size of the deer that was knocking on our front door. LOL

Around 7:30 AM I heard a deer moving off to my left, coming across the ridge. It was just out of my sight when it veered off and trotted down the ravine. I wondered what caused it to trot - scent or movement? I did move my head, albeit slowly, to turn to my left and watch for movement. I figured that might have been the deal. The wind was not moving at that time. About 30 minutes later from the same direction I heard another deer. Peering down I saw my boy sound asleep. Again I looked to my left, but skunked again. Saw nothing, but heard this deer trot down the ravine, too. Now at this point 2 deer both coming in on a food trail but veering off down ... I wondered a little if my climber was in a direct line of sight or if our scent was warning. My boy woke up when a grey squirrel ran literally 3 feet from him, stopped, made his squirrel noises, and then picked up an acorn and began working on it on a log. My boy loves squirrels and he loved the front row seat to this show!

I was content to enjoy the morning with the birds and squirrels. No pressing need to move. It was only past 8 AM. And then I heard that familiar deer walk through leaf litter. Only this time the deer was coming up from the ravine to the ridge I was on. I aimed my rifle and watched one eye through the scope and the other naked. A beautiful doe came over the ridge and walked in like deer do - slow, ears moving, nose twitching, and she had a direct line of sight on me. Now, I was in an oak, about 8 feet off the ground, so when she came up and over I was directly in front of her. I was in a ghillie suit so to her I looked like a big blob of nothing on the tree. And I am not broad shouldered nor tall, so my silhouette was within the width of the oak. I was still and my boy was asleep. She continued in toward me, I gave her a couple of minutes because I wanted to make certain no doe and no yearling with her. Once I confirmed she was solo I had that decision we all face - take the shot or pass? Meat in the freezer or let her walk? I had to decide quickly because she was walking her trail directly in front of me and moving slightly to my left. Within a minute she would be 12 feet beside me, and I was certain she would likely blow and blow our cover. Once the angle presented a near broadside shot I squeezed the trigger and the little .243 punched a hole in her. She did a 180, and bee lined it back toward the direction she came. But she barely made it 30 feet before going over the ridge and piling up maybe 20 feet down. The shot woke my boy up and he sat up just in time to see her turn around and run. After I ejected the case and engaged the safety I looked down at my boy and he had a big smile on his morning face :) We gave it a few minutes before heading toward her. Plenty of blood to follow although we didn't need a trail. She hadn't gone far. But my boy enjoys working a blood trail. We looked at her from a short distance before approaching her. We said our prayer and carried her up to an area we could process her. Never again, or so I hope, will I forget the triangle portion with the hooks of my gambrel. I didn't mind processing her on a tarp on the ground, but hanging from a tree is so much cleaner and more efficient. We processed her, cleaned up, and ate some food while we chatted about the events of the morning. It was just shy of 11 AM when we finished eating and decided it was such a beautiful day we would hang around and enjoy the woods. I told my boy I would take him over to another hot scrape area I had identified (Buck Up scrape site).

Here is my sleeping pride and joy. LOL
20231023_135053.jpg

We were both relieved the log hung her up and kept her from sliding all the way down ...
20231023_135201.jpg

Some of the blood my boy was following.
20231023_135307.jpg

basshappy

BANNED
PART TWO:

After we ate a bit we headed off toward an area I wanted to show my boy that contained more active scrapes. We were done hunting but I carried a rifle and we had a backpack with drinks, snacks, first aid, and a pair of antlers my boy was learning to rattle on. I brought a bag that I put one of the doe's tarsal glands in as well. I figured we are no longer in ghillie suit nor full camo, but we can at least have some doe cover scent to add to our mix of pine and blood (from processing the doe).

It was a relaxed walk as my boy chatted me up about the doe and how he thought she was big. He was telling me he was proud of how I had spent the Summer learning the area, identifying the scrapes, just putting in the work that helps facilitate a successful harvest. We could not have been happier - our opening day together and fresh meat in the cooler! We were truly blessed.

About 20 minutes later we arrive at an area where I told my boy "Look for my marker, boy, see if you can find it". I always place markers, be it a bent branch, a leaning stick, a rock stuck upright, something that fits the area but is slightly out of place if you are looking for it. Didn't take him too long before he found a few sticks leaned up against the trunk of an oak tree. "Go on, head up and find the next marker" I told him. I was following the leader now. Up he went, heading toward the next marker he pointed out when all of a sudden we heard a commotion coming through the creek bottom below us and to our left. We spun around in time to see two doe come racing in! They stepped just below us, maybe 30 feet away, stared right at us. Just looking. One looked back in the direction they came, then looked at us again. The other did a 90 degree spin and took off directly way from us. The remaining doe stared at us and my boy said "Papa, she is asking for help". At that moment a lot of noise came from our right and in comes big boy buck charging out of the bottom and through the ferns and he is approaching her when my boy says "WOW!". Old mister buck looked our way, then back at the doe, he paused, she took off full speed away from him to our left. He started to trot up to his right away from us up a ridge and then 3 more bucks came crashing in and followed suit. Another buck stayed on our side of the creek and went up the ridge behind us.

Man my boy and I were wide eyed and smiling like fools. :) :) Watching these bucks come in after these does, these girls looking at us, my boy saying "Papa, get the rifle, shoot him, it's the perfect broadside shot, let me take it!" Just too much goodness in all that. I was trying to film with my phone, unzipping the rifle case was not going to work I told him. Just be still now and let's sit here and see what happens. We sit quiet for a few minutes, I pulled out the antlers and told him to practice rattlin' them. He was rattlin' them and moving his feet around in the leaves man I wanted to shoot a video of him! LOL Some funky dance and antlers scraping together! He paused and sit still when we heard noise behind us up on the ridge. We turned to see a large doe walking, pausing and looking at us, then walking down toward us. I told my boy be quiet, be still, slowly turn back around and look away. We got her to our back and we hear deer in front of us on the opposite ridge. Where the 4 bucks ran up. I have that fresh doe tarsal blowing in the wind. There was a wonderful breeze and the sun was shining. Old doe she moved on back up to the ridge top and went away but not far. We could hear real well. So my boy went back to rattlin' again and paused. In no time there was such a fuss behind us I told him "That ain't no doe, duck down (I had to swing the rifle around his direction, safety on, pointed upward but still wanted him to duck), there is a buck up there boy and he is coming our way."

Sure as yellow pollen coats everything that buck's rack was the first bit of him we saw over the edge as he came toward us. He was trotting just along looking this way and that. I had a good broadside shot up the ridge but I waited because I felt he was going to come down and would pass beside us. And boy did he ever. That thick neck of his and his brown antlers, he came down to our right maybe 30 feet away just a beautiful animal. My boy was saying "Papa, shoot him, take the shot, Papa. Or give me the rifle, I'll shoot him, Papa." Now, I am 50, old and tired, and I just processed that doe. We are a 20 minute walk away from our van, up two steep grade hills, and I have to bring back the gear, process this guy where he drops, and carry out the meat and head ... I'm literally processing this in a couple of seconds as I am watching this buck come down beside us. BAM! .243 projectile to boiler room and he stumbles down the rest of the hill to the bottom, dazed, pauses a few minutes, standing on 3 legs, then he starts to walk off away from us into our valley of ferns. What?!?! I do not want to track this guy even further away from our van, and I don't want him to live any longer than possible, so BAM! A second shot. Broadside, opposite side than first shot. Tumbles him over onto his left side into the ferns. Now I cannot see him. Minutes pass. And like Olympus this buck rises again a THIRD TIME! I have one cartridge left (remember, I didn't take the rifle to hunt, we already harvested a doe, I just brought along a firearm to have). My boy says "There, Papa, in all those ferns, see him?" Say what?!?! You have tall ferns, the sun shining behind, I see ferns, son, ferns. LOL So I stay on our side of the creek and my boy gets down to the creek and follows at ground level as I stay on the hill side. He points me to where I finally see him and BAM! Last cartridge. Buck drops and it is done. Wow - what an experience we just shared. The bucks chasing the does, my boy rattling, doe and buck coming in, and our opening day together we harvest another beautiful whitetail.

Processing this buck on the tarp, high noon, um, not so beautiful. The flies, the yellow jackets. Wow - they were swarming. It was a real pain to try to make clean cuts and not get stung. I didn't care about the flies (I mean, I did, but the yellow jackets ...) I just couldn't believe how many yellow jackets came to feast. We did our best to process and dispose of this buck and my boy was so cute he said "Papa, I'll carry the meat bag". Sure son, sure. He tried lifting the bag up and nope not gonna happen. It was heavy for me, and I weigh almost twice as much as my boy. It was a heck of a hike back up to our van, but like the first trek, we were carrying fresh meat, we had shared in another adventure together, and every bit of it was so worthwhile.

20231023_140028.jpg

DSGB

Congrats on the deer and memories made with your boy!

basshappy

BANNED
Congrats on the deer and memories made with your boy!

Thank you! Seems only recently I was swaddling him and burping him. Time ... I don't get much sleep often, and I work odd hours, all so that I can be available to do something with him. And I am SO glad I made these choices and sacrifices because there is nothing like having that time together. Won't be long and he will move out and continue his adventure in life. I gots to keep enjoying the next 6 years! LOL

Great story! Making memories neither of you will ever forget. Congrats!

Thank you! One of my favorite memories is red fishing with my dad and my boy two years back - my dad never fished with me (not a fisherman) so to have he and my son fishing together was a top 10 of all time easily.

20231024_094936.jpg

WOODIE13

2023 TURKEY CHALLENGE 1st place Team
Definitely a day for the books, congrats and keep on making those memories, time goes by too quick

basshappy

BANNED
Definitely a day for the books, congrats and keep on making those memories, time goes by too quick

It sure does. I am fortunate that back in college I became hyper aware how quickly time passes, and so I have attempted to live every day in every way.

Seems like only yesterday my boy was rockin' at his second KISS concert - but that was 4 years ago!!!

FB_IMG_1698192199762.jpg

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
WOOHOO! WOOHOO! I started to fast read this the other day, but knew I wanted to take the time and get the details. I am so glad I did! Man what a blast reading this great telling of a Perfect day! I know you forgot the triangle, but that added to the perfection in my book! FWIW, I field quarter too and I prefer to do it on the ground. Even when I’m in Kentucky and there is a hoist right there. I never open the insides, cept a small hole to get the inner loins. Ups and downs are why an adventure is an adventure and this one is one for the books for sure!
Sounds like y’all did the work on the property and have a nice place to hunt. Maybe the best part of this read is getting to see a great dad doing great dad things! Next time a deer just about steps on the sleeping Prince, snap the photo! If you don’t see another deer the rest of the day, it’d be worth it! I can’t wait to read about the next adventure. Congrats to you both and thanks so much for sharing your adventure with us :clap:

Jim Boyd

Nothing finer!!!!!!!