Septic drain question

4HAND

Cuffem & Stuffem Moderator
Staff member
Septic tank isn't draining properly.
Put "root killer" in it & it helped for a few weeks, but back to not draining like it should.

We can wash a couple of loads of clothes back to back & toilets will start bubbling.

Any remedy other than a new $2000 drain field?

ebryant

The first thing I would try is drano max. It could be hair clogging your line. I made the mistake of calling the septic tank guy and it cost me for nothing.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Welcome to my world. I'm living with a 50-year-old septic system. We space out washing clothes, dishwasher, and take quick showers. I don't have the money to redo it.

The Original Rooster

Mayor of Spring Hill
Can't they put root killer directly in the drain field at the junction between the tank and the field? My understanding is that not much gets in the drain field when you put it in the septic tank through the plumbing.

Hillbilly stalker

Might need to get it pumped out. Always use liquid laundry detergent....powders gum up and clog things sometimes. You may be able to just get your lines prodded out.

4HAND

Staff member
Yes I can get it directly into drain. I bought a PVC pipe & elbow when I bought "root killer". I connect pipe to where drain pipe leaves inside of tank & pour it in.
We had tank pumped out several months ago.

The Original Rooster

Mayor of Spring Hill
Yes I can get it directly into drain. I bought a PVC pipe & elbow when I bought "root killer". I connect pipe to where drain pipe leaves inside of tank & pour it in.
We had tank pumped out several months ago.
Try hydro jetting maybe?

Jimmypop

Have the tank pumped ($ 300-400). While the lid is off pull out the clump of roots out of the intake and outlet. Problem solved. No charge.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Is the grass “extra green” where your drain field lines are ?

The Original Rooster

Mayor of Spring Hill
This?

I bought this & used it when I put in the root killer.
I guess I'll try it again.
I think the professional septic guys have something like that but many times more powerful that they can put up the drain lines and clean them out.

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
Check debris at the end of the pipe where it dumps into the tank? Even after pumping they can still clog.

I pulled the lid off mine a few months back because the toilets / tubs were gurgling. It was stopped up right at the dvd of the pipe.

4HAND

Staff member
Check debris at the end of the pipe where it dumps into the tank? Even after pumping they can still clog.

I pulled the lid off mine a few months back because the toilets / tubs were gurgling. It was stopped up right at the dvd of the pipe.
Thanks. The tank is full. It appears it's an outflow not intake problem.

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
Also once you get it repaired...put a pack of activated yeast down a drain once a month.
Antibacterial anything kills the good bacteria that makes the solids break down.

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
Mine has a screen, on the outflow side, that I pull and clean out every couple years. Get me a whiff of septic stink going out the back door, and I know it's time for a cleanup.

basstrkr

The county health inspector used a small coring tool to test which drain line was dry and not receiving waste. We pulled the lid off the distribution box and cleaned out the inlet to that drain line. Google the tool you can make one.

Also one of the reasons plugging has been a problem on our area is that during the winter and spring of this year when it rained so much drains fields and tanks were submerged with water and this upsets the normal flow and floats debris to different locations.

jiminbogart

TCU Go Frawgs !
Open the clean out outside and see if the pipe is full.

If the pipe is full, dig up the lid to the tank and open the hatch to see if the tank is full. The local environmental health department should have a drawing of your system. Don't tell them you have an issue.

If the tank is full pump it out. Only human waste, TP and water should go down the toilet(feminine products should go in the trash). The tank pump guy will clean any filters.

When they pump the tank ask them to check to make sure the outflow to the field lines is clear.

It you have trees near the field lines move the tree and check the lines for roots.
If the lines are clear from a root/debris standpoint and they are full of water, they have been overwhelmed.

1. Make sure you don't have water leaks into the your house drains(running toilets).
2. If you have been having a lot of wet weather the system may be overwhelmed.
2a. If the system is overwhelmed it would be illegal to help it out by buying a cheap Harbor Freight submersible pump and draining the tank on the ground if it refilled after you had it pumped. Do it at night.
3. Make sure surface water is directed away from the tank and lines. Only the water that falls directly on the tank and lines should flow over the tank and lines.
4. Worst case scenario, add additional lines to your repair area. Around here the health department wants the old lines abandoned and a new set of lines put in.

I'm a builder, if my tank failed I would have my septic guy bootleg me in 100' of chamber and see what happens(leaving the original lines in service).

What type of system do you have? Conventional? Pump? ATU?

How many tanks and what size?

Type and length of field lines?

# of bedrooms?

How many folks in the house?

When kids get to be teenagers their water use may double of triple.

Any extra water going into the system from the house(like any extra folks been there for a while)?

BTW, I have an awesome septic tank pump out story. Whenever we meet remind me to tell you. It's a good one.

Actually I have 2 stories. The second one is good too.

jiminbogart

TCU Go Frawgs !
Welcome to my world. I'm living with a 50-year-old septic system. We space out washing clothes, dishwasher, and take quick showers. I don't have the money to redo it.

if you are on a crawl, get you a gray water line going off the washer and shower. Let it flow on the ground(outside the foundation).